Reminderfox fails with TB60.3 -- needs update, see how

Philip Minchom

Nov 11, 2018, 6:23:43 AM11/11/18
to remin...@googlegroups.com

Can anyone solve this curious problem:

Reminderfox 2.1.6.3
Thunderbird 60.3.0
Windows 10

At 11 Nov. 2018

Suddenly the Reminder and Diary Lists stopped showing correctly. Only entries for today’s date in November and beyond are shown.
The data seem still to be there as a pop-up appears when the mouse is over a calendar date with a reminder indicated.

I don’t recall doing anything that might have provoked this. The change seemed to occur from one day to the next.

I tried:-

# Resetting the computer to an earlier date put the listed events shown back also.

# I (yet again) explored the options without finding an obvious control that might affect the problem.

# I tried changing to an .ics backup file from October : No change to problem.

# I tried uninstall and then to install file downloaded from the Reminderfox website : Got message “file is corrupt” (several times).

# I then managed via the Thunderbird Add-ons function itself to re-install Reminderfox : No change to problem.

# I found the Thunderbird error console where the logging tab displayed the legend “Debug file is not configured”. Operating Reminderfox led to no entries in the console.

# Previously, in “about:config”  the Javascript Extensions entry “…showInConsole” was true.

# Also however, the entry “…debug.loglevel” could not be found. It wasn’t in the list of Reminderfox extensions; at least not under that name or anything similar

Ever hopèful
Regards
Philip

This relates to ReminderFox installed on: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.3.0

Guenter

Nov 11, 2018, 6:31:36 AM11/11/18
to ReminderFox
Reminderfox needs an version update to run correctely with TB60.3
New/beta version has been prepared but isn't officially released atm (11.Nov.2018)

Please use this beta version (from my dev Github account)
and call back for any problems.

https://github.com/neandr/reminderfox/releases/download/2.1.6.4beta/reminderfox_2.1.6.4_beta_20181109_1751.xpi

How to install using Thunderbird as mail client:

  1. Open the Addon Manager  with TB Tools -->  Add-ons Manager and at the left select "Extensions"
    1. place cursor on the link and press/hold the mouse key
    2. drag the link to the tab: Add-ons Manager, hold the cursor/link there and wait until the Add-ons Manager tab opens
    3. drag the link down to the right part of the window, release the mouse key. That downloads the XPI and finally it asks for permission to install.
    4. Follow the install instructions there.
Guenter

Colin Law

Nov 11, 2018, 6:32:22 AM11/11/18
to kno...@movistar.es, remin...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at 11:23, Philip Minchom <Kno...@movistar.es> wrote:

> Can anyone solve this curious problem:
>
> Reminderfox 2.1.6.3
> Thunderbird 60.3.0
> Windows 10
>
> At 11 Nov. 2018
>
> Suddenly the Reminder and Diary Lists stopped showing correctly. Only entries for today’s date in November and beyond are shown.
> The data seem still to be there as a pop-up appears when the mouse is over a calendar date with a reminder indicated.

Do you mean you want to see completed items? If so then in Options >
Main Dialog clear Hide Completed Items.

Colin

Colin Law

Nov 11, 2018, 4:11:43 PM11/11/18
to remin...@googlegroups.com, Kno...@movistar.es
Are you changing the date by clicking on year/month in the calendar on
the right hand side?

Colin
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 at 18:36, Philip Minchom <Kno...@movistar.es> wrote:

> Thanks for response Colin,
>
> Yes I want to see cleared and uncleared items that were there. Every entry that is earlier than today's date just disappears from the screen. This month and all previous months and years. If I change the computer date to, say, a month ago then that month's entries all reappear .....
>
> The Hide Completed Items box is cleared, so I'm afraid this is not the reason for the problem.
> (And marking it and then clearing it again has no effect).
>
> Is it a bug or a gremlin? (That expressive old term has gone out of fashion).
> Being rather cynical after the initial misery when I switched to it, I usually suspect some bad interaction from WIN 10 but I wouldn't know where to begin looking.
>
> Regards
> Philip
>
> ________________________________

Philip Minchom

Nov 12, 2018, 2:18:00 AM11/12/18
to gNeandr, Colin Law, remin...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Guenter,

I did what you said; the update seemed to happen but, alas, there was no change in the problem.

It seems as though some line in the software, depending on today's date, is blanking out all historic entries?

Cheers;
Philip

On 11/11/2018 22:20, gNeandr wrote:

Just to be sure .. did you made the proposed update?
This is important because you use TB60.3.

Feedback is very much appreciated, thanks

Guenter

Nov 12, 2018, 2:20:53 AM11/12/18
to Philip Minchom, Guenter, remin...@googlegroups.com
If you mark one of today's entries as completed does it remain visible but crossed out?

Colin

Philip Minchom

Nov 12, 2018, 2:46:04 AM11/12/18
to Colin Law, Guenter, remin...@googlegroups.com

Yes it does, I tried that

Philip

Colin Law

Nov 12, 2018, 3:53:15 AM11/12/18
to Philip Minchom, Guenter, remin...@googlegroups.com
Just for the record I have updated to the Beta (running Waterfox 56.2.5 on Ubuntu 18.10) and I can see old reminders ok.

However I do have another issue, the Display Foxy Toolbar Icon setting in the Access tab does not stick.  If I select the option and OK then reopen Options it is cleared again.  Other options stick ok.  This means I can't get the icon in the toolbar which is a nuisance.

Colin

Paul Swain

Nov 13, 2018, 3:30:28 AM11/13/18
to kno...@movistar.es, remin...@googlegroups.com, gNeandr, Colin Law
Philip Minchom wrote on 12/11/2018 6:17 pm:
I did what you said; the update seemed to happen but, alas, there was no change in the problem.

It seems as though some line in the software, depending on today's date, is blanking out all historic entries?

Hi Philip!

Check the drop down box indicated by the red arrow.  It may have been reset from Selected Year to something else.

Paul

Philip Minchom

Nov 13, 2018, 4:23:12 AM11/13/18
to ReminderFox Group

Hello Paul,

I'd tried various things in this box. No good: nothing is shown from before today's date.

A thought: Since after uninstal/download/reinstall the problem persists, does this suggest some obscure fault in the software? (e.g. Apart from the ics file is there another file, not erased by uninstall, that stores settings?). OR perhaps a Windows register entry that is somehow stuck and not reset?

(Sorry! - I shouldn't try to teach you guys to "suck eggs"!).

Regards
Philip

Philip Minchom

Nov 13, 2018, 4:58:11 AM11/13/18
to ReminderFox Group

13/11: A new detail - see below.

10:56 - A new detail:

I just noticed that if I try to enter a new event with today's date (at either a future or past time) this is recorded but not shown

Philip Minchom

Nov 13, 2018, 5:06:12 AM11/13/18
to ReminderFox Group

Correction : Sorry, ignore previous msg; I mistook the date ..

Colin Law

Nov 13, 2018, 5:13:47 AM11/13/18
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 09:58, Philip Minchom <Kno...@movistar.es> wrote:

I just noticed that if I try to enter a new event with today's date (at either a future or past time) this is recorded but not shown

It might be interesting to shutdown TB, temporarily rename the folder containing your ics file (you have got a backup haven't you?) and restart TB.  That should give you an empty reminder set.  See what happens if you add one with todays date (or older I suppose). See whether they show or not.  That will tell you whether it is a problem with something in your reminders file or whether it is a software/environment/settings problem.
Then you can delete the newly created reminderfox folder and put back the original.  Take care not to delete the wrong one obviously.  Also refer back to my previous question about whether you have a separate backup, otherwise one slip of the brain/fingers and all can be lost.

Colin

Colin Law

Nov 13, 2018, 5:15:39 AM11/13/18
to Philip Minchom, remin...@googlegroups.com
Just seen your correction on this, but still worth doing, putting in
an old date.

Colin

Colin Law

Nov 13, 2018, 12:23:48 PM11/13/18
to Philip Minchom, remin...@googlegroups.com, Guenter
I did suggest renaming the folder where the ics file is (assuming
there is a reminderfox folder containing all the rf stuff including
the ics files). Then that would also have regenerated any other files
in there.

By the way, don't forget to include the list in the replies, you
forgot with this one, easy to do I know.

Colin
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 16:38, Philip Minchom <Kno...@movistar.es> wrote:

> OK; I isolated all existing files with .ics in the name and let RF make new ones.
> Then new new and past dated test reminders.
>
> No change. As before pre-today entries were recorded but did not show.
> i.e. same result as when I tried a ics file from October - disinterred from a regular back-up.
>
> Could there be any other RF file which it might be useful to dig up and exchange?
>
> (I don't see why it should be so but is it perhaps relevant that my computer is about 11 years old with Intel Duo CPU E6750 2.66 GHz ?)
>
> Regards,
> Philip
>
> ________________________________

Colin Law

Nov 13, 2018, 3:52:13 PM11/13/18
to Philip Minchom, remin...@googlegroups.com, Guenter, Tom Mutdosch
You just replied to me again, not the list. I am copying it back again.

There haven't been any other issues such as yours reported to the list
as far as I know.

I think the dav file is the only other one, if you had already moved
that away then I think you can be confident it isn't to do with your
data files.

I have reached the end of my ideas I am afraid. You will have to wait
for Guenter or Tom to come back I think.

Colin
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 20:28, Philip Minchom <Kno...@movistar.es> wrote:

> I do appreciate all your effort! Do I detect that I may be the only person to experience this problem? (Strange!).
>
> Files concerned are:
>
> one .ics file as: reminderfox_2017-10-14_1215.ics
> reminderfox_2017-10-14_1215.ics.dav
> three .ics backup files: .bak1 to 3
>
> I isolated all of these and the first and the second were regenerated. (And I have separately preserved copies. Plus there is an older backup which I tried from my regular backup mirror ("R-drive image").
>
> For some reason these files are all in the folder named for me in the C: drive User folder. This has quite a lot of stuff in it which is why I didn't rename it - not knowing what else might be affected. (?)
>
> On drive C: I can find no folder and no other files including reminderfox in the name.
>
> In C:\Mozila\Extensions is one file: {972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd}.xpi which is dated 7 Nov - and is possibly to do with the downloaded RF?
> The only other Thunderbird extension listed is Lightning. (I did try disabling this but that didn't change anything).
>
> In among the main Mozila folders I don't notice any other file which might be related. There is a Thunderbird Uninstall log dated 7 Nov (which is when I was trying to get RF to work properly) and other log files in Mozilla Maintenance Sevice\logs.
>
> NB Before they changed Firefox I used RF from that programme. I fortunately discovered that I could continue to do so in Thunderbird. (I changed to Thunderbird when Microsoft executed assassinated Outlook Express. (Of beloved memory; their other email offerings are real dogs).
>
> Philip
>
> ________________________________

gNeandr

Nov 13, 2018, 4:44:53 PM11/13/18
to Philip Minchom, remin...@googlegroups.com, Colin Law

Hi Philip,

following this discussion I understood

-- you updated RmFx with the version reminderfox_2.1.6.4_beta_20181109_1751.xpi
-- you use that with TB60.3

but the problem isn't solved.

Also I didn't followed all of the discussion -- thanks to Colin to support this -- your situation seems to be very unique and to me, it isn't "logical". So we need to go an extra route, please follow this:

-- close TB/RmFx
-- open TB60.3 and allow to define a new profile; for the test you don't need to add an mail account, just skip it
-- on the new profile install the mentioned reminderfox_2.1.6.4_beta_20181109_1751.xpi

-- open Reminderfox and add reminders, add reminders with the same definitions you have had problems with
-- is the problem solved or not?   ... Please let us know!

-- assuming the first test was OK, now import your ICS data in question
-- is the problem there again?   ... Please let us know!

If both tests are positive, say the reminder handling is OK, you have a problem with your TB profile and you should migrate all your accounts, addressbooks, reminders to that new profile.

In the case it's faulty again we need to analyze your ICS data ... more for that later.

Guenter

This relates to ReminderFox installed on: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/60.3.0 --

Message has been deleted

Philip Minchom

Nov 15, 2018, 5:55:45 AM11/15/18
to gNeandr, remin...@googlegroups.com, Colin Law

Thunderbird is working normally again. After sleeping on the problem and applying logic I managed to change back to the default profile. Thus at leisure I can transfer data over to the new profile and eventually get back to normal with Reminderfox.

Thanks for all the help and advice. It's rare for us ordinary Joes to be able to get through to the experts!

Günter, I suggest you stay with WIN 7 as long as you can! (tho' I'd guess you mostly use more elevated systems ...). I reluctantly switched from XP to WIN 10 at the last possible moment and am not enjoying the experience. Any new features are either trivial or of no interest and MS has redistributed all the basic and useful features and controls all over the place for absolutely no good reason.
As they have done with Office, Skype and I don't know what else.
I do wish that twenty years ago I'd started with Apple instead of WinTel.

PS:   Does anyone have a foolproof way to convert a modest programme written in Visual Basic 4 to be able to run in WIN 10 etc?

Regards,
Philip

Knolly.vcf

kno...@live.nl

Nov 15, 2018, 7:40:58 PM11/15/18
to ReminderFox
SOS: This msg directly via the Google site as I somehow disappeared my original Thunderbird profile.
(Auxiliary email address is: kno...@live.nl)
Hi again Günter
When I tried to activate the Profile Manager via the instruction on the TB help website this did not work whatever I tried in the Run box. Whatever I did, including a reboot, a Message Box kept appearing saying the “ … -p” file could not be found. After messing about there for a while I eventually discovered a TB Add-on called “Profile Switcher”. With this and with Profile Manager in “Safe Mode” I appeared to successfully create another profile.
I then added Reminderfox via the TB Add-ons feature:-
Good news: Even without your beta file, all past-, present- and future-dated Reminderfox entries showed normally.
Likewise everything was present when I imported the original ics file.
Then: Wanting to inform you of this I could not discover any way to get back to the original profile! i.e. No mention of Profile Manager in the File Menu whatever I did with “Work Offline”; nor of Profile Switcher in the list of Extensions.
It seems I messed-up somehow!??? So before going further into the mire I thought I’d see what you have to say.

PS The new profile is stored in an even more remote folder:-
C:\Users\FELIPE\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\dfbvlaqi.Test Profile\reminderfox\reminderfox.ics

fred...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2018, 6:29:11 AM12/27/18
to ReminderFox
I haven't been able to follow this thread - especially the stuff about profiles. In my case, things were still working until at least 60.3.2, which my TB auto-installed on Dec 3. It was not until after the auto-update to 60.3.3 that things stopped working. In my case, the symptom is that any attempt to set a reminder silently fails. Other than that, no error messages or missing UI elements that I've noticed.

See also my related post on the thread about the future of ReminderFox.

Guenter

Dec 28, 2018, 1:38:14 PM12/28/18
to ReminderFox
Just to add: As stated with my other thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/reminderfox/ZX3Hsm3R1jU%5B1-25%5D
TB version 60.3.3 is working with RmFX dev version 2.1.6.4
AND also with TB 60.4 Build ID     20181217101353  ... just tested.
For the RmFX dev version see the details with the link above.

Thanks G