LIVE FROM SF - reliability-discuss!

Steve McGhee

Jun 17, 2024, 2:58:12 PMJun 17
to Reliability discussion group
hey folks!

come join us (online! via the Internet!) tomorrow to discuss reliability, just like we do every month!  It'll be great!  I'm in SF this week, so I won't have a fancy microphone :( -- but the conversation will still be good, I promise!

Tuesday 18 Jun
9:30am US Pacific / 12:30pm US Eastern

See you there! http://r9y.dev/discuss

Steve McGhee

Jun 18, 2024, 4:47:47 PMJun 18
to Reliability discussion group
Thanks for coming today!  We had about 13 guests and discussed a bunch of fun stuff (see notes below).

See you next time!

1) Is anyone working on multi modality model during an incident call? Like something that inferences the screenshots of the ones who are engaged in an incident call

2) Generic mitigations. Aside from falling back code and restarts, what else are you doing?
- https://www.oreilly.com/content/generic-mitigations/
3) What upcoming conferences / webinars are you attending?
- I've applied to go to: SRE Day London, Dev Ops Days London, SRECON EMEA, @Scale

4) How ML/AI can help predicting failures in our systems/services. Observability vendors provide the solution. However, it cost much for mid-size companies to afford.

5) Anyone use feature flags / toggles to help minimize risk? to improve reliability of releases?
- https://map.r9y.dev/docs/Feature_Flags.html
- dont forget to remove old flags! combo of flags are also scary!
- "Scary canary!"

6) Any fun table top topics to train your new team members on incident response?
- FMEA
- https://spaceteam.ca/ -- silly/fun

chinmay

Jul 4, 2024, 10:06:29 AMJul 4
to Reliability discussion group
There was this link shared which hosts a publicly available incident reports in this meeting. Can someone help me with that link?

Cheng Leong

Jul 5, 2024, 1:59:31 PMJul 5
to chinmay, Reliability discussion group
https://www.thevoid.community/about
Look in the database for specific incident reports.
The annual reports analyze industry trends.
Cheng