How to solve "Acess denied" error when trying to delete key?

Claudia Svenson

Mar 25, 2022, 11:34:32 AM3/25/22
to RegistryFinder
After performing a search some result lines are shown.

When I mark e.g. the following line

Key        Value        Type        Data        Size        Date Modified        Found In
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wim"\UserChoice        Progid        REG_SZ        wim"_auto_file

and hit the "DEL" key I am getting an

Access is denied (5) error

Why?
I am working as a User which is part of the Administrators group.

When I double click on the result line Registry finder jumps to the corresponding "Local Registry" Tab position. here I CAN delete the entry.
So it should be possible from result line too.

Very strange

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Mar 27, 2022, 2:03:47 PM3/27/22
to RegistryFinder
The only explanation I can have is as follows.

The HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.wim"\UserChoice key denies deletion (and modification) of its values. (Both are controlled by the single permission called Set Value in the security dialog.)
The entry in the Find Results window is a value or a data, not a key. When you hit the Del key you tried to delete the Progid value and got access denied error.
Then, that is my assumption, after switching to the Local Registry window, you tried to delete the key, not a value. This time you succeeded because the Set Value permission does not affect ability to delete the key.

пятница, 25 марта 2022 г. в 18:34:32 UTC+3, Claudia Svenson:

Claudia Svenson

Mar 28, 2022, 10:43:44 AM3/28/22
to RegistryFinder
Your wrote: " Both are controlled by the single permission called Set Value in the security dialog"

Where can I find this  Set Value in which security dialog?

As far as I can see the Registry Finder deny problem is caused by the the fact that I want to delete a value rather than a key.
Can add an option to let users automatically delete the corresponding nearest parent KEY when I mark a value and press DEL?

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Mar 30, 2022, 3:14:03 PM3/30/22
to RegistryFinder
> Where can I find this  Set Value in which security dialog?
Well, this is a pretty long way.

Right-click a key, in the context menu click Properties. Switch to the Security tab.

SecurityTab.png

Click Advanced.

Permissions.png

Select the entry corresponding to your user account and click Edit.

 PermissionsEntry.png

In the Permissions Entry click the Show advanced permissions link and you'll see it.

AdvancedPermissions.png

That's it.
I cannot explain here how all that settings work, it is too complex. Ask google if you are curious.

> As far as I can see the Registry Finder deny problem is caused by the the fact that I want to delete a value rather than a key.
The error is caused not by the fact that you are deleting a value, but the permissions set on the key. This is not a common setup, but it might be normal in your environment.

> Can add an option to let users automatically delete the corresponding nearest parent KEY when I mark a value and press DEL?
I cannot see a commonly used scenario for such an option.
Blindly deleting a key is not a good idea. In general, you first examine the key in the Registry window, then decides what to do.