Thank you for the amazing software, but having an issue with certain keys and a horrid popup

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2018, 10:44:01 PM7/20/18
to RegistryFinder
This was my defacto replacement (was hoping perma replacement) for using regedit.  Had all but washed my hands of it.  However navigating to certain keys, for example HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System via the address bar in RF causes a popup error stating the following:

The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123)

If i close the popup, it will navigate to the key just fine.  Upon closing RF and re opening it - same popup.  So im stuck navigating to a non "affected" key before I close lest I want to deal with the popup every time i open it.

Some keys cause the pop up, some dont.  Navigating via the same means in regedit does not cause the error so it has something to do with registry finder.

Ive tried enabling/disabling admin.  Ive tried moving the folder to a different location, drive even.  Nothing helps.

Assuming its a bug of some sort?

Thank you for your time and help!

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2018, 11:00:54 PM7/20/18
to RegistryFinder
also tried on another pc same issue with the same key(s) that present it.

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Jul 21, 2018, 4:09:26 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
First of all, I appologize for inconvenience.

That version are you using? Make sure it is the lates one (2.28).

Please do the following:
When the popup appears, open Task Manager, switch to to Details tab, right-click RegistryFinder.exe, in the context menu select Create dump file.
Task Manager creates the full dump file RegistryFinder.dmp and places in in the temporary folder. (It disaplay a message with the full path to the file. You can copy the path from there.)
The dump is pretty big (about 100MB) but archiving reduces its size in several times (to 25-30 MB).
Upload it on some filesharing service and then I will try to understand that is the problem.

Sergey

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2018, 4:12:16 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
no apology necessary :)
Ill get the dump over to you asap.  standby ;p

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2018, 4:12:35 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
it is the newest 2.28 though ftr/fwiw

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2018, 4:18:01 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
here you are.  I created the dump with the error window still present/open.  Hopefully that is correct/okay.

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Jul 21, 2018, 4:21:48 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
okay, got it

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Jul 21, 2018, 8:22:44 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
The error is because of hidden key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Environment with the trailing null charaсter.
When Registry Finder attempts to add it to the tree it gets the error.

The only way to eliminate the error in the current version is to delete the key.
You can do it with the NReg utility:
    NReg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Environment%00
(It should be run as adminitrator.)

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 21, 2018, 10:19:45 PM7/21/18
to RegistryFinder
I appreciate you looking into this for me. Do you expect that it will be fixed in a future release? Will deleting said key present any potential issues?

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Jul 22, 2018, 4:41:50 AM7/22/18
to RegistryFinder
I think I will fix it in the next release.

Of course, stricly speaking, deleting that key may have a potential issues, but I believe it is unlikely. I do not have such a key on my working computer and on test virtual machines. I never heard about such a popup before. So the odds are that this key is some artefact.

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2018, 6:09:34 AM7/22/18
to RegistryFinder
FWIW i deleted said key, unfortunately the error still presents itself. After searchign for the key again, it appears to recreate itself ><

Sergey Filippov (Registry Finder)

Jul 22, 2018, 9:35:59 AM7/22/18
to RegistryFinder
Well, then you should wait for the next version.
Or, if you want, I can upload preliminary version with the fix to my google drive (then I will send you the link by e-mail).

klep...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2018, 11:06:26 AM7/22/18
to RegistryFinder
That would be amazing! When you get to it. No hurry of course.

Thank you very much!

If it’s going to be too much trouble I can wait of course. Up to you!