More great events! June 8th PhillyCHI: Double Header with Mark Trammell and Stephen P. Anderson

Roz Duffy

May 28, 2010, 10:42:49 AM5/28/10
to refres...@googlegroups.com
Hey Refresh Philly,

We got an overwhelming response to our next event, Happy Cog Presents A VisitPhilly.com Case Study. It's already sold out, but please add yourself to the waitlist if you did not register in time:
http://refreshphilly-happycog.eventbrite.com/

I guarantee that spots will open up as the event draws closer!

Good news! PhillyCHI is putting on an AMAZING event one week earlier on Tuesday Juen 8th that will also be of interest to Refresh Philly:

Double Header with Mark Trammell and Stephen P. Anderson

http://phillychi-june1.eventbrite.com/

PhillyCHI will be hosting two fantastic speakers, Mark Trammell and Stephen P. Anderson on Tuesday, June 8th. Both speakers will be presenting at Jared Spool's Web App Masters Tour here in Philly, then giving a special evening talk for PhillyCHI.

The first 100 people to arrive will receive a ticket for one free drink, courtesy of the event's sponsor, The Archer Group of Wilmington, DE. Please register if you plan to attend.
Date: Tuesday, June 8th, 2010
Time: 6:30PM - 8:30PM (Social time from 6:30-7:00PM)
Location: The Blockley Pourhouse
Address: 3801 Chestnut St (38th & Ludlow St)
Philadelphia, PA 19104
(215) 222-1234
Website: http://www.theblockley.com/
Map & Directions: http://tinyurl.com/39pp8u4

About the Presentations

“What Can Carl Sagan Teach Us About the Web?" with Mark Trammell
2010 is the 30th anniversary of Carl Sagan’s "Cosmos: A Personal Voyage." Not only is his explanation of our universe relevant today, it can teach us a great deal about how to create better websites.

    * What can Carl Sagan teach us about the Web?
    * What can constellations tell us about Web analytics?
    * What does man’s ancestry tell us about people choosing to interact via the Web?
    * How does the evolution of the human brain affect a site’s brand?
    * What can we learn from Heike crabs about how our users influence our designs?
    * What does the deciphering of the rosetta stone tell us about people new to a website?
    * How can the search for extraterrestrial life help us understand our users?
    * How can the mating patterns of whales be used to help searchers?
    * What parallels can be drawn between viruses and information architecture?
    * What can the evolution of our solar system tell us about the future of our websites?

About Mark Trammell
User Experience Researcher, Twitter

Mark evaluates the motivations and behaviors of Twitter's users through extensive user research. Prior to Twitter, Mark conducted user experience and design work at the social news site Digg. He's been a leading force in the Web Standards Project Educational Task Force. He also has great stories from his time in the Navy. (Ask him what it's like to jump out of a flying helicopter onto a moving ship.)

“The Art and Science of Seductive Interactions” with Stephen P. Anderson
Remember that “percentage complete” feature that LinkedIn implemented a few years ago, and how quickly this accelerated people filling out their profiles? It wasn’t a clever interface, IA, or technical prowess that made this a successful feature– it was basic human psychology.

To be good information architects we need to crack open some psych 101 textbooks, learn what motivates people, and then bake these ideas into our designs. We’ve spent the last decade perfecting how to create applications that serve our users needs. Now it’s time to create applications that are engaging. It’s time learn a bit about the art and science of seductive interactions. We’ll look at specific examples of sites who’ve designed serendipity, arousal, rewards and other seductive elements into their application, especially during the post signup process when it is so easy to lose people. Examples will mostly include consumer applications such as Muxtape, Dopplr and iLike, where engaging with users through a process of playful discovery is vital to continued use; however, we’ll also look at how these same ideas might work in corporate environment, with a glimpse into a few corporate apps that have succeeded at being playful. Regardless of your current project, the psychological principles behind these example can be applied universally.

In the spirit of “expanding our boundaries,” we’ll look to disciplines like social sciences, psychology, neuroscience and cognitive science for insights. However, attendees will leave with actionable tools and examples making it easier to bridge theory with tomorrow’s deadline. As a profession, we talk about mapping user goals to business goals. But what if this focus on goals is no longer enough? And what if we can’t get users to stick around long enough to see the value in our apps? Come get inspired by examples of applications that have moved beyond just goals, and succeeded in both satisfying and delighting people.

About Stephen P. Anderson
Stephen is an independent consultant based out of Dallas, Texas and is the twisted mind behind UX Roast http://www.uxroast.com/. He explores the art and science of integrating seductive interactions into applications. His presentation style informs, inspires, and entertains. He's done project work for clients like Frito-Lay, Chesapeake Energy, Sabre Travel Network, and Nokia.