Telecommuters: Residential internet with SLA??

Jonathan Bartels

Dec 4, 2009, 2:26:38 PM12/4/09
to Fort Wayne Geek Dinner
Hi all,

Hope everyone is doing fine.

After a year of telecommutting I'm just now starting to have trouble
with my internet connection being up and down. Insight is doing some
rework at my apartment complex and I've lost connectivity twice in the
last month for a few hours at a time.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting internet access with an SLA
(not 24/7, but at least 9-5 M-F)? Any thoughts on getting a prepaid
cellular internet dongle as a backup? What about having both cable and
DSL?

With the work I'm doing now its difficult to be functional without an
internet connection. I'm not looking for five-nines, but some sort of
guarantee that my service won't be down when I need it to earn my
salary. Suggestions welcome.

Jeremy Nelson

Dec 9, 2009, 9:38:15 PM12/9/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
Good luck getting an SLA out of any of these companies. I strongly
recommend a Verizon Wireless air card. I telecommuted for over 6
months exclusively using it. For Linux system administration, it
works fine, though 1.2 Mbits is paltry for some people's needs, and
the ~120 ms latency is less than ideal. I use this thing all over the
place and have had very few issues with connectivity. Don't get me
started on AT&T, though. I've used both them and Sprint, and unless
you're not concerned about having coverage everywhere you go, I would
ONLY recommend Verizon.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy

Justin Coleman

Dec 9, 2009, 10:32:08 PM12/9/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan who is ur ISP?

Jonathan Bartels

Dec 10, 2009, 10:25:35 AM12/10/09
to Fort Wayne Geek Dinner
Justin - Right now my ISP is my cable company, Insight. ATT is
starting a fiber rollout in town and I'm sure theres a DSL provider
too. I want fiber, but its not available at my house yet.

Jeremy - My workstation at home is essentially a dumb terminal for a
Windows remote desktop session back to a Windows VM at HQ. I was
skeptical at first, but it works surprisingly well. I might be able to
get away with a 3G dongle as a backup.