Server Co-Op?

1 view

David Sanders

Sep 10, 2009, 9:11:17 AM9/10/09
to Fort Wayne Geek Dinner
Someone else mentioned this to me once, and I wanted to bring it up here to see if anyone else was interested.

Would anyone else be interested in setting up a GeekDinner server co-op?  Basically, it would be a decent VPS hosting plan somewhere that we could all pitch in on, then get better resources for our various side projects.

I have an account with EApps, and while its a mostly decent service, I don't use it enough to justify paying a high monthly fee for the extra processor speed and memory that I might burst to.  So, while it works, its pretty slow and I'm always out of memory it seems.  Whether that would be fixed by finding others to go in on a hosting plan where we all post up and run our own stuff, I don't know.  I might just trade one problem for another. :)

Obviously, I haven't thought this out all the way, but it was something I wanted to start a discussion on.  My only stipulation would be that it would need to be a Windows server so that I could run .NET code.  (I'm not game to try mono just yet, and most windows server plans I've seen come with PHP / Rails, etc. included anyway.)

Just a thought

Leo Lincourt

Sep 10, 2009, 9:38:09 AM9/10/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
I think I was the one who brought this up on Twitter whilst in the midst of an extremely painful, extremely long migration between two DCs by my current hosting company.

What I was ruminating on was a co-op web hosting concern to run client sites on. I was initially thinking if there was enough interest (10 - 20 people), then a decent dedicated server could be leased but I suppose a really good VPS would be fine too.

I'm a strict Linux person when it comes to server environments. Of course, if we had a dedicated server then we could run two VPSs, one Windows environment, one Linux. The other thing that's a requirement for me is WHM/CPanel since I have clients that need to be able to make changes easily to their hosting/accounts and its something of an industry standard.

It would be interesting to hear what others think about a co-op web hosting setup, whether it's feasible and if so, then how the co-op could be structured  for success.

Cheers,
-- L.

Bishop Brown

Sep 19, 2009, 5:15:26 PM9/19/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com

I am currently using a VPS from TekTonic that I pay $21/mo for and get 33gb on. I have had no issues with their service, but I keep a secondary server at my house that everything fails over to. I have Verizon FIOS business service (15 down/2 up) with 5 static IPs. I’ve been pretty happy with this set up so far, but I have been considering some sort of co-op as well. I’m currently paying the $21/mo for the VPS as well as an additional $50/mo for the business internet over regular residential service, so anything that can accomplish my objectives and be cheaper then $71/mo is a go in my book. I have plenty of servers, but I haven’t been able to find somewhere that I could put them with enough static IPs for a decent price. Anyone know of a way to get access to good, reliable internet that we could put our own servers in?

Bishop Brown