Formerly Fort Wayne Geek Dinner

Dutch Rapley

Feb 5, 2011, 8:26:33 AM2/5/11
to refreshf...@googlegroups.com
I am pleased to announce that the Fort Wayne Geek Dinner has been aptly named Refresh Fort Wayne. We're taking part in the Refreshing Cities movement (http://www.refreshingcities.com/).

The Refresh Manifesto

Let's Gather Great Minds
Let's Share All Of Our Knowledge
Let's All Grow And Learn
Let's Promote Local Talent
Let's Be More Than We Think Can Be
Let's Make Our Cities Better

I always thought the Geek Dinner name was a little awkward since it focused primarily around the dinner. We'll still have our geek dinners, probably every other month or so. We'll look to fill the void with coffee shop meetups, hackathons, and the like. If you have a suggestion for a meetup or know of one, please post it here or to our Facebook page.

We didn't create a new group for this, but simply changed the name of the geek dinner google group. All previous messages can be found online at groups.google.com/group/refreshfortwayne. If you post to the list, please use the new address refreshf...@googlegroups.com. You subscriptions settings have remained untouched.

Thanks,
Dutch Rapley

David Sanders

Feb 5, 2011, 9:16:50 AM2/5/11
to refreshf...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah.  I know of several people who wanted to come out, but were turned off by the 'geek' part, not because they didn't like geeks, but because they felt intimidated that they weren't geeky enough. :)

I LOVE the idea of having a hackathon and have been thinking about that for a while.  Maybe I'll host a weekend mini foo camp / code sprint in a couple months, once I'm settled in the new place, with enough work for non coders too.  I would also like to see an electronic music workshop hosted by Nofi... :)

Great idea and great work Dutch!

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos.

Jeffrey Melton

Feb 7, 2011, 9:19:50 AM2/7/11
to refreshf...@googlegroups.com
I'd be up such a workshop, but I'd need to know what others would want to get out of it (in general or specifics). So send me your feedback. Thanks,
--
jeffrey melton

David Sanders

Feb 7, 2011, 1:37:44 PM2/7/11
to refreshf...@googlegroups.com
Some topics I'm personally interested in:

1. Setup and recording process for recorded music
2. Setup and performance process for live music
3. Software / Hardware discussion
4. Composition Process
5. What you've learned - non-obvious things that you learned along the way that n00bs could benefit from.

Obviously, each of these could be a workshop on its own, but in general as a noob, I want to know everything. :)