Non-geek question

David Sanders

Aug 31, 2009, 7:37:48 PM8/31/09
to Fort Wayne Geek Dinner
Anyone have any strong recommendations for good B&Bs in the general area, but as far as 2 hours away?  I want someplace quiet, disconnected without being skanky and uncomfortable, and suite's with a kitchen and a fireplace are a huge plus.  Internet not necessary, or even welcome. :)  I don't even really care about what its near, as long as there is a restaurant or two, or a grocery store.

Thanks

Raymond Stephens

Aug 31, 2009, 8:25:35 PM8/31/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
A buddy of mine went to Wild Winds Buffalo Preserve on his anniversary a few years back.  It's up in Fremont so it is fairly close.

Tyson Maxwell

Aug 31, 2009, 11:40:44 PM8/31/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
If you make it to the Fremont area and like wine, check out the Satek
Winery http://www.satekwinery.com/. They have some nice wines and a
free tasting.

-Tyson

Jeremy Reynolds

Sep 1, 2009, 9:09:31 AM9/1/09
to Fort Wayne Geek Dinner
Never been there myself, but I've heard that Carol Lumbard house is
very good (of course, it's not in the countryside). http://carolelombardhouse.com/

Jeffrey Melton

Sep 1, 2009, 9:25:57 AM9/1/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
Not quite a B&B, but you might consider a room at the Potawatomi Inn in Pokagon State Park in Angola. It might might make for a nice getaway: http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/inns/potawatomi/
Hope this helps,

--
jeffrey melton | p.o.box 10231 | fort wayne, IN | 46851-0231 | USA

Jeffrey Melton

Sep 1, 2009, 9:27:44 AM9/1/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
BTW, their room rate lookup has a malformed link. Here's the correct one:
https://potawatomiinn.dnr.state.in.us/iqreservations/asp/rates/IQ_rates_frame.htm

Raymond Stephens

Sep 1, 2009, 10:34:07 AM9/1/09
to geekdi...@googlegroups.com
Potawatomi is very nice.

Wayne G.

Sep 4, 2009, 12:16:41 PM9/4/09
to Fort Wayne Geek Dinner
While not being a fan of B&Bs, I did enjoy the Queen Ann Inn in South
Bend. Clean and very nice architecture. It is also next door to the
Tippecanoe House restaurant, which is the old Studebaker Mansion.
What a beautiful building. Be sure to tour the whole house while
there. Maybe the most magnificent house ever built in Indiana. While
in the car business the Studebakers used to host large Ballroom
parties with the likes of the Governor, Senators and Congressmen
attending. His wife’s sister lived 2 blocks away and the two sisters
were very close. They wanted to see each other every day. Indiana
weather occasionally made that inconvenient, so Mr. Studebaker
constructed an underground tunnel to connect the two homes. Should
make for a nice get-a-way weekend.