Entity Relation Diagram (ERD) tools?

James

Aug 6, 2010, 6:27:52 AM8/6/10
to Refresh Teesside
Hi,

For a long time I have used paper and pen to draw my database diagrams
however its a pain in the can when you need to create space for a new
table or change something. I need some sort of 'tool'. I am happy for
it to be desktop or web solution.

I have just found this http://ondras.zarovi.cz/sql/demo/?keyword=default
which looks exactly what I am after but I am not that bothered about
integrating with the actual database) although that would be nice.

I am more after a good tool which I can draw my diagram to present to
other members of the team etc. I would like to be able to print I,
obviously and maybe export to pdf?

Any ideas? Anyone use anything similar?

James

Simon Scarfe

Aug 6, 2010, 6:53:34 AM8/6/10
to refresh-...@googlegroups.com
I think the only one I've ever really used was Dia (http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/) but that's cos I was working in Linux at the time. I think a lot of it depends on whether you want to spend anything, with higher-end things like Visio, Omnigraffle, and Enterprise Architect, they're very powerful but similarly expensive.

There's a massive thread with lots of great suggestions over on Stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15376/whats-the-best-uml-diagramming-tool

Si

James

Aug 6, 2010, 9:54:03 AM8/6/10
to Refresh Teesside
Hi,

So I found one after a recommendation from @boxedfish

http://wb.mysql.com

So far it looks perfect and I am even thinking about ditching Navicat
MySQL and using this for diagrams and also database admin.

James

Web Team

Aug 6, 2010, 10:24:34 AM8/6/10
to refresh-...@googlegroups.com
I find Omnigraffle, or Omnigraffle pro on the mac good for doing these kinds of Diagrams

Regards,

James Wilson
Web Developer, House of Type

HOUSE OF TYPE | MULTI MEDIA EXCHANGE | 72-80 CORPORATION ROAD | MIDDLESBROUGH | TS1 2RF
TEL: 01642 356290 | FAX: 01642 356296 | EMAIL: ja...@houseoftype.co.uk | WEB: www.houseoftype.co.uk

Phil West

Aug 6, 2010, 10:26:19 AM8/6/10
to refresh-...@googlegroups.com
For the little bit of database design I do I use visio mate. If you don't find a better solution let me know I might be able to sort you a copy.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone