Is Google Groups still best?

James

Jul 7, 2010, 4:41:36 AM7/7/10
to Refresh Teesside
Hi,

Its been a long time since anything has come out of the Refresh
Teesside google group... its been a long time since anything has
happened around Refresh Teesside for a long time full stop!

Recently there have been a couple of things that have happened in the
industry and personally that would have benifited from this group
being more active... so its time to make it happen.

The first thing is to make sure that we are still using the right
tools. Is Google Groups the best place for Refresh Teesside?

What about something like http://groupspaces.com/c/welcome ? And I am
guessing people liek eventbrite more than upcoming?

James

Simon Scarfe

Jul 7, 2010, 4:55:19 AM7/7/10
to refresh-...@googlegroups.com
I see nothing wrong with a Google Groups, I don't think the medium's a problem at all.

Recently there have been a couple of things that have happened in the
industry and personally that would have benifited from this group
being more active... so its time to make it happen.

Curious though - what events are you referring to here?

Simon Scarfe

http://breakfastdinnertea.co.uk
http://si---.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/simonscarfe

Adam Liptrot

Jul 7, 2010, 5:23:17 AM7/7/10
to refresh-...@googlegroups.com
As a group board there isn't anything wrong with Google Groups. What's happened is what's happened in most of the web dev mailing lists - they've all moved to Twitter.

I'm guessing most people on this group have Twitter accounts and that's how they keep in touch - compare the 60 Google group members to the 322 followers of the Refresh Teesside account on Twitter.

Adam

James

Jul 7, 2010, 5:30:21 AM7/7/10
to Refresh Teesside
Hi Simon,

If the general consensus is that Google Groups is good for our needs
then I am more than happy to stick with the system.

In answer to your question... a couple of examples... I still find
that working on my own as a developer is quite challenging at times,
you dont have other people around to bounce ideas off. To get started
on the core of a new system you need to think deep into the future
system sometimes to see how things you put in place now will affect
things later on... and think about things you will need to implement
in the future and what you need to put in place now to aid this.
Although this is standard practice its a much faster process with
other develoers around... When I think about what I personally want
out of Refresh Teesside its this connection with other like minded
people and other developers.

Another example is the recent activity around The Federation of Media
Development Companies (FMDC)... it would be good to use Refresh
Teesside, a group of industry experts, to talk about this sort of
thing as a group... it may be that FMDC could have looked at speaking
to the group before they decided to launch their idea.

James

Ross Cooney

Jul 8, 2010, 2:13:50 AM7/8/10
to refresh-...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

On 7 July 2010 10:30, James <ja...@jamesmills.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> If the general consensus is that Google Groups is good for our needs
> then I am more than happy to stick with the system.

Our Google groups list works very well for SuperMondays but I have to
admit...it often lays dormant for weeks at a time. It takes time to
stoke the fires ;)

Ross Cooney
www.emailcloud.com

Rozmic Wireless Limited
Gateshead int'l Business Centre
Mulgrave Terrace
Gateshead
NE8 1AN
United Kingdom.
Tel: 0845 130 5523

James

Jul 13, 2010, 12:24:36 PM7/13/10
to Refresh Teesside
Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on the Google Groups account... we will keep
things within the Google Groups account for now and see how things
go...

James