Reflect ASAM + JDK 8

Juan Pablo Calvo

Apr 24, 2019, 9:58:10 AM4/24/19
to reflectasm-users
Hello,
I have found this fork for the original repo, and in the forked repository it says:

This is the revised version, some differences from EsotericSoftware/reflectasm:
  • Supports Java 8 only in order to remove the dependency of asm-xxx.jar
  1. What does "Supports Java 8 only in order to remove the dependency of asm-xxx.jar" means?
  2. Does original Reflect ASAM supports Java 8?
  3. Does original Reflect ASAM take advantage on the Java 8 features?

Thanks,
JP

Nate

Apr 24, 2019, 10:38:58 AM4/24/19
to reflecta...@googlegroups.com
Hi JP,

Probably best to ask that repo's author what his changes are.

ReflectASM works fine with Java 8+. I don't know what features you mean.

Cheers,
-Nate

Juan Pablo Calvo

Apr 25, 2019, 2:34:10 PM4/25/19
to reflectasm-users
Hi Nate,
I get a little confused because in this other repo says that it change the implementation to use Java 8 features (because u need to change one file). And as I read in many websites Java 8 improves reflection performance, so I was wondering if the original ReflectASAM could be benefit from those performance improvements when using Java 8.

Thanks Nate!

Nate

Apr 26, 2019, 3:21:29 AM4/26/19
to reflecta...@googlegroups.com
I haven't had time to dig into the fork and see what is different. You could use JMH to create a microbenchmark. I have set that up for Kryo (with charts), a similar setup could work for ReflectASM: