Reductio newbie problem

12 views
Skip to first unread message

ste...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 13, 2008, 5:32:46 PM7/13/08
to Reductio
Hi,

Thanks for making Reductio, I appreciate the attempt to teach rigor
through better testing, it seems like a nice approach. I've been
having a problem getting up to speed with Reductio and thought perhaps
somebody could enlighten me.

I have a simple object that lets your determine the Hamming distance
between two Array[Bytes]:

package ecc

object Hamming {
def distance(a: Array[Byte], b: Array[Byte]): Int = {
sum(collapse(a.zip(b)))
}

def collapse(xs: Array[Tuple2[Byte, Byte]]): Array[Int] = {
xs.map((x) => if (x._1 == x._2) 0 else 1)
}

def sum(xs: Array[Int]): Int = (0 /: xs) (_ + _)
}

Now, distance(a, b) should equal distance(b, a) so I thought I'd write
a Property to check this:

package ecc.tests

import ecc._
import reductios.Property._
import reductios.Arbitrary.arbSInt
import reductio.CheckResult.summary
import fjs.F2._

/**
* Tests the commutative property of Hamming.distance
*/
object DistanceCommutes extends Application {
val p = prop((a: Array[Byte], b: Array[Byte]) => {
Hamming.distance(a, b) == Hamming.distance(b, a)
})
summary println +p
}

Unfortunately, scala 2.7.1 on Java 6 (Apple) refuses to compile my
test.

$ make
scalac -classpath classes:lib/reductio.jar:lib/functionaljava.jar -d
classes `find ./ -name \*.scala -print`
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed:
fj.data.Array[A]
at scala.Predef$.assert(Predef.scala:92)
at scala.tools.nsc.symtab.classfile.ClassfileParser.sig2type
$1(ClassfileParser.scala:525)
at scala.tools.nsc.symtab.classfile.ClassfileParser.sig2type
$1(ClassfileParser.scala:543)
at scala.tools.nsc.symtab.classfile.ClassfileParser.scala$tools$nsc
$symtab$classfile$ClassfileParser$$sigToType(ClassfileParser.scala:
574)
at scala.tools.nsc.symtab.classfile.ClassfileParser.parseAttribute
$1(ClassfileParser.scala:602)
at scala.tools.nsc.symtab.classfile.ClassfileParser$$anonfun
$parseAttributes$1.apply(ClassfileParser.scala:765)
at scala.tools.nsc.symtab.classfile.ClassfileParser$$anonfun
$parseAttributes$1.apply(ClassfileParser.scala:765)
...

Have any of you run into this sort of error before? This is my first
property so I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious.

Thanks,
Steve

Tony Morris

unread,
Jul 13, 2008, 6:22:46 PM7/13/08
to redu...@googlegroups.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi Steve,
Yes we have seen this problem before, but we have not yet documented it.
Sorry for having you go off and rediscover it yourself.

The problem is a bug in Scala 2.7.1 which has been opened and
subsequently fixed by the EPFL:
http://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/870

In order to get your example working, you will have to compile the
latest trunk of the Scala distribution and use that.

I have also opened an issue to help prevent others falling into the same
trap.
https://issues.workingmouse.com/view.php?id=49

Sorry again and please feel free to ask more questions.

- --
Tony Morris
http://tmorris.net/

Real-world problems are simply degenerate cases of pure mathematical
problems.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIeoA1mnpgrYe6r60RAhLWAJ9/yGGbXThZVVPLIoNBWyIBHOSnzgCfdkHR
7yAfHbQCBTnQf01ZPib7xzc=
=wrj0
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

ste...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 13, 2008, 9:35:37 PM7/13/08
to Reductio
That's really unfortunate. If it were a personal project, I'd just
move to Scala trunk but this is for work so I'll have to use
ScalaCheck unless 2.7.2 comes out before I can convert enough people
to this from TDD.

Thanks,
Steve

On Jul 13, 3:22 pm, Tony Morris <tmor...@tmorris.net> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Hi Steve,
> Yes we have seen this problem before, but we have not yet documented it.
> Sorry for having you go off and rediscover it yourself.
>
> The problem is a bug in Scala 2.7.1 which has been opened and
> subsequently fixed by the EPFL:http://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/870
>
> In order to get your example working, you will have to compile the
> latest trunk of the Scala distribution and use that.
>
> I have also opened an issue to help prevent others falling into the same
> trap.https://issues.workingmouse.com/view.php?id=49
>
> Sorry again and please feel free to ask more questions.
>
> - --
> Tony Morrishttp://tmorris.net/
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org

Tony Morris

unread,
Jul 13, 2008, 9:57:22 PM7/13/08
to redu...@googlegroups.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Well that's a bummer. There have been quite a few bug fixes in Scala
HEAD since 2.7.1. Why can't you update? I'll do the build for you if you
like and post it somewhere (since of course, I am using it!).

- --
Tony Morris
http://tmorris.net/

Real-world problems are simply degenerate cases of pure mathematical
problems.

ste...@gmail.com wrote:
| That's really unfortunate. If it were a personal project, I'd just
| move to Scala trunk but this is for work so I'll have to use
| ScalaCheck unless 2.7.2 comes out before I can convert enough people
| to this from TDD.
|
| Thanks,
| Steve
|
| On Jul 13, 3:22 pm, Tony Morris <tmor...@tmorris.net> wrote:
| Hi Steve,
| Yes we have seen this problem before, but we have not yet documented it.
| Sorry for having you go off and rediscover it yourself.
|
| The problem is a bug in Scala 2.7.1 which has been opened and
| subsequently fixed by the
EPFL:http://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/870
|
| In order to get your example working, you will have to compile the
| latest trunk of the Scala distribution and use that.
|
| I have also opened an issue to help prevent others falling into the same
| trap.https://issues.workingmouse.com/view.php?id=49
|
| Sorry again and please feel free to ask more questions.
|

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQFIerKCmnpgrYe6r60RAmL9AKDLF6xSww6F9NGtAVNIK5gGQELbcgCgjbA3
lfGLB4eu57ZjNo+HuF4h2Xw=
=kS5d
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

ste...@gmail.com

unread,
Jul 14, 2008, 12:52:46 AM7/14/08
to Reductio
It's not building trunk that's the problem, we just consider it too
risky to put trunk scala in production without a lot of testing. For
instance, lift has historically had issues (sometimes small, sometimes
large) with new versions of Scala. I have another pet bug that I looks
fixed in HEAD so I will probably end up doing the grunt work and
"certifying" the latest revision.

http://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/870

Thanks!
Steve

On Jul 13, 6:57 pm, Tony Morris <tmor...@tmorris.net> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Well that's a bummer. There have been quite a few bug fixes in Scala
> HEAD since 2.7.1. Why can't you update? I'll do the build for you if you
> like and post it somewhere (since of course, I am using it!).
>
> - --
> Tony Morrishttp://tmorris.net/
>
> Real-world problems are simply degenerate cases of pure mathematical
> problems.
>
> ste...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> | That's really unfortunate. If it were a personal project, I'd just
> | move to Scala trunk but this is for work so I'll have to use
> | ScalaCheck unless 2.7.2 comes out before I can convert enough people
> | to this from TDD.
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Steve
> |
> | On Jul 13, 3:22 pm, Tony Morris <tmor...@tmorris.net> wrote:
> | Hi Steve,
> | Yes we have seen this problem before, but we have not yet documented it.
> | Sorry for having you go off and rediscover it yourself.
> |
> | The problem is a bug in Scala 2.7.1 which has been opened and
> | subsequently fixed by the
> EPFL:http://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/870
> |
> | In order to get your example working, you will have to compile the
> | latest trunk of the Scala distribution and use that.
> |
> | I have also opened an issue to help prevent others falling into the same
> | trap.https://issues.workingmouse.com/view.php?id=49
> |
> | Sorry again and please feel free to ask more questions.
> |
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -http://enigmail.mozdev.org
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages