Firefox, Xorg, Gnome

1 view

Gordan Bobic

Mar 31, 2019, 8:19:56 AM3/31/19
to redsleeve-users
I blew the dust off my Chromebook after a year and came across a few interesting issues.

Firefox:
Current release has no FF package.
7.5 has FF 58 which suffers a crash at startup.
7.4 has the latest FF that works for me, 57.2

Running a full yum update to 7.6 results in broken GUI for me. Xorg seems to start, but it just shows a "something went wrong" screen where gdm is supposed to be. I am not sure if this is a Xorg or gdm issue at the moment.

I know RS isn't widely used with GUI environments, but has anyone else seen this?

Jacco Ligthart

Mar 31, 2019, 8:57:57 AM3/31/19
to redslee...@googlegroups.com
On 3/31/19 2:19 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> I blew the dust off my Chromebook after a year and came across a few
> interesting issues.
>
> Firefox:
> Current release has no FF package.

I know, I cannot get it to build any more. I choose to not include it
over having an old and vulnerable version.

IIRC, FF needs to be build with rust, which needs a recent llvm and llvm
after 3.7 just does not support armv5 any more.

> 7.5 has FF 58 which suffers a crash at startup.
> 7.4 has the latest FF that works for me, 57.2
>
> Running a full yum update to 7.6 results in broken GUI for me. Xorg
> seems to start, but it just shows a "something went wrong" screen
> where gdm is supposed to be. I am not sure if this is a Xorg or gdm
> issue at the moment.
>
> I know RS isn't widely used with GUI environments, but has anyone else
> seen this?

It's been a long time since I tested RS with gui. I assumed it would be
working, because all updates build normal.

I'll try to test on one of my machines tonight.

Jacco

Gordan Bobic

Mar 31, 2019, 12:28:25 PM3/31/19
to redsleeve-users
On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 1:57 PM Jacco Ligthart <ja...@redsleeve.org> wrote:
On 3/31/19 2:19 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> I blew the dust off my Chromebook after a year and came across a few
> interesting issues.
>
> Firefox:
> Current release has no FF package.

I know, I cannot get it to build any more. I choose to not include it
over having an old and vulnerable version.

IIRC, FF needs to be build with rust, which needs a recent llvm and llvm
after 3.7 just does not support armv5 any more.

Interesting. That pretty much nullfies the usefulness for desktop use.
Does anyone have an actual use case that requires a working desktop environment but not a working web browser? If not, I wonder if it might be working pruning the maintained package list to just not build Xorg or any desktop environments or GUI-only applications.

Gordan

Jacco Ligthart

Mar 31, 2019, 5:37:41 PM3/31/19
to redslee...@googlegroups.com

OK, I tested a bit with my systems:

* the odroid XU4, runs Xorg normal. I previously configured it to run KDE. it shows the graphical login after boot. You can login. All normal. FF (52.8)  and TB (52.9) crash with a segmentation fault. Konqueror (the KDE browser) just works.

* the raspberry 3B shows the "something went wrong" page. It is difficult to debug on this system. it has *all* packages installed (I test here if newly build packages do install). "startx" also does not work here. I probably need to test with a more normal installed system.

Jacco

Jacco Ligthart

Apr 1, 2019, 3:12:31 PM4/1/19
to redslee...@googlegroups.com

On 3/31/19 2:19 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Running a full yum update to 7.6 results in broken GUI for me. Xorg
> seems to start, but it just shows a "something went wrong" screen
> where gdm is supposed to be. I am not sure if this is a Xorg or gdm
> issue at the moment.

I think I found what is the issue with Xorg/GDM. Can you please update
mesa* and try again?

Jacco

Gordan Bobic

Aug 8, 2019, 12:59:17 PM8/8/19
to Jacco Ligthart, redsleeve-users
Hi Jacco,

Just out of interest, what did you do to mesa* to fix it?
I'm wondering if it could be loosely related to the SIGILL I'm trying to chase down in CentOS 7 on Tegra that lacks NEON.
Is this the git commit that made it work on ARMv5?

Jacco Ligthart

Aug 8, 2019, 1:20:46 PM8/8/19
to redslee...@googlegroups.com

Yes, that's the one.

I don't recall what triggered me to build it with this llvm version ...

If you're interested, I still got the buildlogs and other mock artefacts from both builds.

Jacco

Gordan Bobic

Aug 8, 2019, 1:45:47 PM8/8/19
to Jacco Ligthart, redsleeve-users
Thanks, my main motivation at the moment is trying to work around a SIGILL I'm getting on 32-bit CentOS 7 because _something_ in the mesa stack is crashing out with a SIGILL.
AFAICT it was built with the assumption of NEON availability, which is optional on ARMv7, and doesn't exist on the Tegra 2.

Gordan

Gordan Bobic

Aug 8, 2019, 2:20:56 PM8/8/19
to redsleeve-users, Jacco Ligthart
Interesting, I just hit this while building it on CentOS 7 arm32:
https://github.com/grate-driver/mesa/issues/6

Odd that it doesn't come up on RS7...

Jacco Ligthart

Aug 9, 2019, 2:27:34 AM8/9/19
to redsleeve-users

Not sure which issue you refer to, there are multiple in that threat. However, what I can see from my logs is that 'autogen.sh' is not used. (no surprise, it is also not in the SPEC)

I also had some unbuildable drivers, which I hacked out of the build. This is the configure statement that builded the last mesa on RS7:

./configure --build=armv5tel-redhat-linux-gnueabi --host=armv5tel-redhat-linux-gnueabi --program-prefix= --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-libglvnd --enable-selinux --enable-osmesa --with-dri-driverdir=/usr/lib/dri --enable-egl --disable-gles1 --enable-gles2 --disable-xvmc --enable-vdpau --with-egl-platforms=x11,drm,wayland --enable-shared-glapi --enable-gbm --disable-opencl --enable-glx-tls --enable-texture-float=yes --enable-gallium-llvm --enable-dri --with-gallium-drivers=swrast,r300,freedreno,nouveau,virgl --with-dri-drivers=nouveau,radeon,r200

Jacco