Landlocked redo?

Joseph Garvin

Aug 7, 2022, 11:47:26 AM8/7/22
to redo
Build isolation is one of the things I miss from more "enterprise" systems like Bazel, but apparently the new Linux landlock APIs are sufficient for implementing it in a way that's easy to integrate into existing tools:

Charles Eckman

Aug 7, 2022, 12:42:50 PM8/7/22
to Joseph Garvin, redo
Thanks for sharing, this is a neat post!

(My understanding is-) the biggest philosophical / structural difference between makes / make-likes (incl. Bazel) and redo is that redo *does not* specify the dependency graph up front. So- I'm not sure if / how "strict dependency checking" would apply to redo without a philosophical shift?

Output isolation might be useful-
"RWC the output file and a temporary directory, RX everything else" as the policy? I'm not sure how that would play with the "rebuild directory as a side effect" pattern- maybe there are other decent ways of producing "an output directory" that would allow this isolation?

On Sun, Aug 7, 2022, 8:47 AM Joseph Garvin <k04...@gmail.com> wrote:
Build isolation is one of the things I miss from more "enterprise" systems like Bazel, but apparently the new Linux landlock APIs are sufficient for implementing it in a way that's easy to integrate into existing tools:

Joseph Garvin

Aug 7, 2022, 2:48:25 PM8/7/22
to Charles Eckman, redo
I think you your do scripts when executing would be restricted to only reading files that have earlier been redo-ifchange'd in the script. And yeah restrict writes to the output.