Fw: How NaNoWriMo Started For Me

Shlomi Fish

Nov 2, 2012, 6:06:01 PM11/2/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 00:04:21 +0200
From: Shlomi Fish <shl...@shlomifish.org>
To: <wri...@mit.edu>
Subject: How NaNoWriMo Started For Me

Hi all,

so Rocktober ended and NaNoWriMo started, and while in the past months I have
been writing code intensively, I was hoping that November will have a more
prose tangent. I was discussing NaNoWriMo on ##programming on Freenode when
someone I talked with told me of some ideas he had for technical documents, so
I'd like to pursue that as well.

The first thing I'd like to note is that the test suite of XML-Grammar-Fiction
is now broken due to what appears to be a regression in libxml2 and/or
libxslt2. I think it still works mostly fine, though. XML-Grammar-Fiction can
be found here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/projects/XML-Grammar/Fiction/

I've also been doing some other open-source coding, which I needed to do, and
been writing E-mails. But the highlight is that I resumed work on my old "The
Hebrew Tutorial for Standard HTML" and am hoping to finish the first version of
it by the end of November, and then to look into translating it into English.
You can find what I have so far here:

http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/HTML-Tutorial/

It is available with its source code under the Public Domain / CC0.

I announced it in several places, and only received comments in Hebrew here:

http://www.whatsup.org.il/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=7046

The thread was dominated by a commentator who thought it was pointless and
reported many apparent faults with what I wrote, but I was able to garner some
constructive criticism out of it, and it also made me find a bug in the
DocBook/XSL stylesheets that I used.

I'm still not going to follow NaNoWriMo's "Quantity over Quality" model, and
would prefer to write less, but of higher quality. But I hope I'll have a lot
to show for.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish