New CC Licensed educational video series and Indiegogo campaign to make them public domain

1 view

Art (New Media Rights)

Nov 29, 2012, 1:57:06 PM11/29/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for creating a place to discuss openly licensed works, we definitely need these kinds of venues.

I wanted to let everyone know that my nonprofit, New Media Rights, has recently released over 13+ hours of Creative Commons licensed video series we recently launched along with an important Indiegogo campaign to help fund this work creating free openly licensed educational content.

We'd like to ask for any help you may be able to provide in sharing this new educational content and our Indiegogo fundraiser around the web through social media and or on your website.  Let us know if you do so we can say thank you.

One of our existing series is our Copyright FAQ.  This series is CC-BY licensed.

We also have videos on Smartphone privacy and for Mobile App developers.

Our newest educational video series, LAGD (Legal Assistance for Game Developers) has gotten the most attention, with over 60,000 views in the last two weeks since it's been live.  The series is targeted at Indy Game developers.  We've gotten such overwhelmingly positive support on Reddit that we made it to the #1 slot on r/Games the Monday before last.

Here's some samples

Gabe Newell - How Half-Life Episodes and other distribution models create value for gaming consumers

LAGD Ep3 - Trademarks and branding for game developers - Part 1

The crowdfunding campaign that recently launched ( http://igg.me/p/276926?a=1758982 ) will help fund our regular direct legal assistance work along with new video series.

The Indiegogo campaign also is an effort to make the videos progressively more free.

When the fundraiser began last week, we made LAGD under a Creative Commons Attribution Noncommerical license.

  • If we reach $20,000, we will broaden that to a Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike license.
  • If we reach $30,000, we will broaden that to Creative Commons Attribution.
  • Finally, if we reach $50,000, we will make Season One public domain.
So your support increases the availability of openly licensed works.

Particularly, if you, or anyone you know would be interested in supporting a video or series of videos please connect us with them because we're looking for new video subjects for the new year and we're looking for collaborators (you can see choosing a topic is one of our rewards options).

It would be great if you could share this link to anyone you know who may be interested in contributing or resharing the link http://igg.me/p/276926?a=1758982.

Also, if you have any ideas of people we should reach out to, please definitely let me know because we're always looking for ideas.

I hope you all have a great holiday season.

Sincerely,

Art Neill

Shlomi Fish

Dec 2, 2012, 5:02:08 AM12/2/12
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Art,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:57:06 -0800 (PST)
"Art (New Media Rights)" <a...@newmediarights.org> wrote:

> Thanks for creating a place to discuss openly licensed works, we definitely
> need these kinds of venues.

You're welcome. Thanks for your post.

> I wanted to let everyone know that my nonprofit, New Media Rights, has
> recently released over 13+ hours of Creative Commons licensed video series
> we recently launched along with an important Indiegogo campaign to help
> fund this work creating free openly licensed educational content.
>
> http://igg.me/p/276926 <http://igg.me/p/276926>

Excellent. Good job.

> We'd like to ask for any help you may be able to provide in sharing this
> new educational content and our Indiegogo fundraiser around the web through
> social media and or on your website. Let us know if you do so we can say
> thank you.

I think I'll post about it on my blog/etc.

> One of our existing series is our Copyright FAQ. This series is CC-BY
> licensed.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1071E5E4FD66B73

Nice. Does it have subtitles? They will help disabled people and/or people who
cannot listen to the English speech well.

> We also have videos on Smartphone privacy and for Mobile App developers.
>
> Our newest educational video series, LAGD (Legal Assistance for Game
> Developers) has gotten the most attention, with over *60,000 views* in the
> last two weeks since it's been live. The series is targeted at Indy Game
> developers. We've gotten such overwhelmingly positive support
> on Reddit that we made it to the #1 slot on
> r/Games<http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/131fno/gabe_newell_talking_about_how_valve_works_chris/>
> the Monday before last.

Nice.

Regards,