The FOSsil Bank now has a mailing list; FOSsil Bank 17 November update also inside

1 view

Chris Sakkas

Nov 16, 2012, 11:17:19 PM11/16/12
to fossi...@lists.okfn.org, open-...@lists.okfn.org, Discussion of Free Culture in general and this organization in particular, redi...@googlegroups.com

FOSsil Bank now has a mailing list!

Thanks to the good people at the OKFN, there’s now a mailing list for the FOSsil Bank:

I anticipate using the list mainly or exclusively for these roughly fortnightly updates. However, I’d be happy to see broader discussion about the wiki or free/libre/open works on the list as well.

Please tell anyone who might be interested about the list.

#FundFreeCulture

Follow-up

  • MediaGoblin reached 72% of its funding goal (GNU AGPL)
  • Japanese RPG Monster RPG 2 was successfully ransomed. The game is gratis on many platforms; the code is gratis and libre (Give It Your Own License, License)
  • One Shot was successfully funded. The game is not released yet, but the game text has been available since the campaign launched. (CC BY or BY-SA)
  • Spears of the Dawn RPG was successfully funded. The art, which will be public domain, is about half complete.

#FundShareableWorks

New Libre Resources on the FOSsil Bank Wiki

Art and Assets

  • AncientBeast is a computer game in the making, but its code and assets are already libre (CC BY-SA, AGPL)
  • MrBeastDesign is a pixel artist. (CC BY-SA)
  • A link to the Battle for Wesnoth assets (pixel art, raster art, music) has been added to the wiki page (GNU GPL)
  • 500px is a photography website that recently allowed CC licences on the photos it hosts. It does sort by CC licence (all CC licences)
  • 2013 Open Source Calendar features heroes of the open source and associated movements, including Lessig, Stallman and Torvalds. (CC BY-SA)

Information and Data

  • myPolice Data is the Queensland police force’s open data. (CC BY)
  • Wikidata is the Wikimedia Foundation’s latest project. (CC0)
  • Aerogel.org is a website about the incredible substance aerogel, including how to make it! (CC BY)
  • The Social Media Reader is a collection of articles about social media from a range of people. (CC BY or CC BY-SA, except for one CC BY-NC-SA article)

Recipes

Music

  • Bandcamp hosts some CC-licensed albums, but gives no way to search for specific CC licences.

Hardware

  • Breadpig is a distributor, and some of the stuff that they distribute is libre or otherwise shareable.
  • The Evil Mad Scientist Shop sells open source hardware for a range of purposes.
    • The Balloon Mapping Kit allows you to take your own aerial photographs from up to 300 metres! (CC BY-SA, CERN OHL)
  • littleBits is a library (and catalogue) of electronic modules that snap together using magnets. (CC BY-SA, CERN OHL)

Software and Electronic Games

  • The List of Open Source Programs is a list of such programs for Windows on the Ubuntu Wiki (wiki: CC BY-SA; programs: libre)
  • Monster RPG 2 is a JRPG electronic game available on a number of formats, gratis. Its code is libre; apparently the assets are as well but I haven't been able to chase them down (Give It Your Own License, License)

Tabletop Games

  • Take on Establishments is a supplement for the libre tabletop game Dungeon World, detailing taverns, gardens and so on. (CC BY)
  • PCGen is a character generator for the d20 System of tabletop RPGs. (GNU LGPL)

Licences

New Proprietary Shareable Resources on the FOSsil Bank Wiki

Hope you enjoy!

Chris Sakkas
Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki and the Living Libre blog and Twitter feed.

Shlomi Fish

Nov 21, 2012, 12:36:09 PM11/21/12
to Chris Sakkas, fossi...@lists.okfn.org, open-...@lists.okfn.org, Discussion of Free Culture in general and this organization in particular, redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:17:19 +1100
Chris Sakkas <sangl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> FOSsil Bank now has a mailing list!
>
> Thanks to the good people at the OKFN, there’s now a mailing list for the
> FOSsil Bank:

> I anticipate using the list mainly or exclusively for these roughly
> fortnightly updates. However, I’d be happy to see broader discussion about
> the wiki or free/libre/open works on the list as well.
>
> Please tell anyone who might be interested about the list.
> #FundFreeCulture

Thanks for letting us know. I subscribed.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish