Andrii Buniak

Dec 8, 2021, 5:11:56 PM12/8/21
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,
We are trying to use Redis dump and restore functionality to restore data on cloud level if on-prem server is dead. The problem is, we face this limitation mentioned in documenation that the version of dbs should be the same. As one of the servers is in cloud it's very hard to maintain and guarantee the same version of dbs. Can you specify, should this version be totally the same or minor version differences (like 5.0.1 and 5.0.6) will also work? What is the reasoning behind this limitation and can this somehow be turned off?

Itamar Haber

Dec 8, 2021, 5:23:58 PM12/8/21
to Redis DB
Hi Andrii,

DUMP/RESTORE compatibility is maintained between patch-level and minor versions. The core team reserves the "right" to break this between major versions.

That said, AFAIK, you can always RESTORE a DUMP from an earlier version (e.g. a DUMP from 2.8 should be RESTORE-able on 6.2) but not the other way around. It looks like the docs (for RESTORE) are somewhat misleading in that sense - would you care to make a PR to fix that (https://github.com/redis/redis-doc)?

Cheers,
Itamar