systemd - "appropriate" values for TimeoutStartSec and TimeoutStopSec?

Jonathan del Strother

Jan 12, 2022, 6:35:13 AM1/12/22
to Redis DB
Hi there,

When using redis with supervised=systemd, it gives a stern warning - "Please make sure you set appropriate values for TimeoutStartSec and TimeoutStopSec in your service unit". What is an appropriate value? 0? 5s? Infinity?

The example service file suggests infinity (https://github.com/redis/redis/blob/23b61734863a5f8bc66fa44734f8c8c3cd2c365a/utils/systemd-redis_server.service#L35-L36), but that seems like it would just mask problems if something is completely wedged. (I also would have expected the warning message to be more along the lines of "Please make sure you disable systemd timeouts")

Any suggestions? I'm not sure if the timeouts are dependent on system speed and/or database size, or how to determine what the appropriate values should be.

- Jonathan