Enable AOF but not RDB

chilumb...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2015, 3:07:31 AM11/16/15
to Redis DB
If i have aof enabled on masters and slaves in a redis cluster, but with rdb only enabled on the slaves and not the master. If a redis master crashes, and its slave takes over through a failover, will the slave get a full data sync and allow the cluster to perform normal?

Itamar Haber

Nov 16, 2015, 3:10:42 AM11/16/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Persistence (with RDB and/or AOF) isn't related to replication per se - it allows you to recover when both master and slave(s) fail simultaneously (e.g. multi-node failure or system meltdown). Regardless whether you're using persistence, slaves are asynchronously kept in sync with the master.

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:07 AM, <chilumb...@gmail.com> wrote:
If i have aof enabled on masters and slaves in a redis cluster, but with rdb only enabled on the slaves and not the master. If a redis master crashes, and its slave takes over through a failover, will the slave get a full data sync and allow the cluster to perform normal?

Itamar Haber | Chief Developer Advocate & Senior Solution Architect
Redis Watch Newsletter | Curator and Janitor
Redis Labs | ~ of Redis

Mobile: +1 (415) 688 2443
Office: +1 (650) 461 4652
Mobile (IL): +972 (54) 567 9692
Office (IL): +972 (3) 720 8515 Ext. 123
Email: ita...@redislabs.com
Twitter: @itamarhaber
Skype: itamar.haber

Blog  |  Twitter  |  LinkedIn

chilumb...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 9:57:44 AM11/17/15
to Redis DB
Thank you Itamar for your shading light on redis persistence.

chilumb...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 10:01:29 AM11/17/15
to Redis DB
One more question Itamar. So if i disable rdb on both the masters and slaves, would i be able to recover the data just by using AOF enabled on both Master and Slave? I would like to disable rdb to avoid disk I/O waste.

Josiah Carlson

Nov 17, 2015, 2:32:20 PM11/17/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
I am not Itamar, but the AOF is intended to be used as an alternative to snapshots. And yes, your master and slave will work just fine with only AOF enabled.

 - Josiah

Itamar Haber

Nov 17, 2015, 3:08:46 PM11/17/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com

Feel free to pick up my slack any time not Itamar, it is an honor.

Not Josiah

chilumb...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 8:45:13 PM11/17/15
to redi...@googlegroups.com
You guys are cool. And thank you for answering my questions. I am learning a lot from this Google group.

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Redis DB" group.

Sumit Kandoi

Mar 28, 2023, 5:50:28 AM3/28/23
to Redis DB
Hello Itamar,

Regardless whether you're using persistence, slaves are asynchronously kept in sync with the master.

It means if we are not using AOF and RDB in any of the node (master and slave) still data will replicate from master to slave Node in async manner.