Redis 3.0.0 beta 8 is out

Salvatore Sanfilippo

Jul 29, 2014, 5:12:06 AM7/29/14
to Redis DB
Hi all,

Redis 3.0.0 beta-8 is out, with the following main changes:

1) More cluster test units.
2) As a result of "1", a few bugs fixed.
3) Backporting of all the new unstable stuff.

After adding four new units testing consistency during resharding,
slave selection and stop conditions, and replicas migration, only a
couple of non critical bugs were discovered.
This is a good sign that we are near to switch to release candidate
before the end of October, and to turn stable before the end of 2014.

We'll go for a minimum viable product approach so the feature set is
what you see currently in Redis 3.0.0. The good news is that the
unstable and 3.0.0 branches are currently exactly the same (no work
that was considered critical enough for stability was performed in the
unstable branch latency, so everything was merged back into 3.0.0).
This means we'll start with 3.2 ASAP, as soon as RC1 is released,
adding both cluster and non-cluster related things to 3.2.
At the same time, as we did for the 2.8 code base, I'll merge useful
stuff aggressively from 3.2 / unstable to 3.0, as soon as they appear
to be stable. This violates any kind of software engineering principle
in theory, but has worked very very well for 2.8: we were able to
backport a significant number of features making them available ASAP
for users without adding major bugs in the process. Examples range
from HyperLogLogs to Lex range queries and more.

The tension between the canonical "release cycle" approach, and the
fact that backporting stuff aggressively has worked well for Redis, is
just apparent. It's all a matter of developing new code with much
care, writing good tests to discover issues ASAP, sandboxing the new
stuff for a few weeks before merging, and finally, trying to have a
good judgment about what is appropriate and what is not to merge back.
So during the course of 3.0.0 stable we'll add multiple DC support and
other stuff to Redis Cluster.

Enjoy the new beta!

Cheers,
Salvatore

--
Salvatore 'antirez' Sanfilippo
open source developer - GoPivotal

"One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by
some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand."
— George Orwell

Rekha Jayaraman

Jul 30, 2014, 6:21:38 PM7/30/14
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are planning to use Redis with Cluster. I am a newbie to Redis.

Can I use the stable version 2.8.13 for clustering. Also please let us know when the stable version for Redis 3.0.0 will be released.
These information would help us in finalizing the design and release dates for our application.

Thanks & Regards,
Rekha

Jan-Erik Rediger

Jul 30, 2014, 7:06:11 PM7/30/14
to redi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rekha,

no, full Cluster support is only in the upcoming 3.0.0 (which is in Beta
right now)

Salvatore included a planned roadmap in this release announcement:

> This is a good sign that we are near to switch to release candidate
> before the end of October, and to turn stable before the end of 2014.

There's no definite release date for a stable 3.0.0 version, because it
highly depends on how bug-free the Release Candidates turn out (and this
can only be known once they are released and people are testing them).

Does this information already help you?

Kind regards,
Jan-Erik