Why is system memory > redis used memory

Ankit Gupta

Sep 1, 2021, 6:10:36 AMSep 1
to Redis DB
Hi Experts,

We have configured the maxmemory to be 80% of the total memory. Based on this setting we have created P1 alerts (to monitor the redis health/data).

We have observed that system memory is always greater than the memory redis is using.

We are assuming that this is because other processes might be consuming this extra memory.

Can someone please put some light on this.

Thanks,
Ankit

sundb

Sep 1, 2021, 11:03:13 PMSep 1
to redi...@googlegroups.com
used_memory in redis does not represent the memory already used by redis, the memory acquired by any process from the system is not equal to the memory already used by the process.
When using malloc, the memory allocator will actually get more memory from the system than we actually want to allocate.
With free, the memory allocator may not immediately return memory to the system.
We also have to consider the additional memory consumption caused by memory fragmentation.

Ankit Gupta <g.an...@gmail.com> 于2021年9月1日周三 下午6:10写道: