April update of glibc breaks desktop. RHEL5

Jean-David Beyer

Apr 7, 2011, 7:47:57 AM4/7/11
On April 4, I had pup-yum install a release from Red Hat. included were
glibc-common-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
glibc-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i686
nscd-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
glibc-headers-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
glibc-devel-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386

When this was done, it said to reboot, which I did.
When I logged in, the destop was almost completely empty, and what was
there did not work. Only the bottom left icon was on the panel, and it
did not work. It brought up an x-window that would work, and the window
showing the files in my current directory (something that I do not do).

I logged out and in, to no effect.
I logged in as root, and no good.

The X windowing system seems to work OK, but not the desktop.

I am now ssh-ed into that system from another machine, but this will not
do in the long run.

I have a full backup on mag tape, but I do not recall what happens if I
try to replace glibc. I have also downloaded those packages, but have
not tried to reinstall them.

I filed a trouble report 00446657 on April 4, and it just sits in their
input queue. Any ideas?

^^-^^ 07:35:01 up 2 days, 14:08, 1 user, load average: 4.58, 4.56, 4.54

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Apr 7, 2011, 3:03:29 PM4/7/11
Op 07-04-11 13:47, Jean-David Beyer schreef:

> On April 4, I had pup-yum install a release from Red Hat. included were
> glibc-common-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
> glibc-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i686
> nscd-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
> glibc-headers-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
> glibc-devel-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
>
> When this was done, it said to reboot, which I did.
> When I logged in, the destop was almost completely empty, and what was
> there did not work. Only the bottom left icon was on the panel, and it
> did not work. It brought up an x-window that would work, and the window
> showing the files in my current directory (something that I do not do).
>
> I logged out and in, to no effect.
> I logged in as root, and no good.
>
> The X windowing system seems to work OK, but not the desktop.
>
> I am now ssh-ed into that system from another machine, but this will not
> do in the long run.
>
> I have a full backup on mag tape, but I do not recall what happens if I
> try to replace glibc. I have also downloaded those packages, but have
> not tried to reinstall them.
>
> I filed a trouble report 00446657 on April 4, and it just sits in their
> input queue. Any ideas?

Hi Jean-David,

A downgrade of glibc*.rpm is tricky business. Even a tape restore. Most
tape management programs use glibc

My advise: call your local Red Hat support number, and ask why your
ticket has not been picked up.

I personally do this in Europe when a ticket is not picked up within 48
hours.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Jean-David Beyer

Apr 9, 2011, 2:17:15 PM4/9/11

I got through to them finally and they found they had a bug in their
glibc related stuff that broke GNOME. How they did not notice that
during testing I do not know. I did a

yum downgrade glibc glibc-common glibc-devel glibc-headers nscd

at their suggestion to fix it. It has to be done just right or the glibc
will disappear from under you and you are up the creek. They will
release a revised version soon. Meanwhile, do not install these; wait
for a later one.

>> glibc-common-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
>> glibc-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i686
>> nscd-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
>> glibc-headers-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386
>> glibc-devel-2.5.58.el5_6.2.i386

^^-^^ 14:10:01 up 1 day, 21:37, 3 users, load average: 4.56, 4.59, 4.60

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Apr 9, 2011, 4:11:29 PM4/9/11
Op 09-04-11 20:17, Jean-David Beyer schreef:

Jean-David,

I glad you got in contact with Red Hat support.

I run RHEL 6.0 so I do not know whether I will run in to this bug.

Thank you for the warning, for a customer may run into this problem.

Jean-David Beyer

Apr 10, 2011, 8:10:29 AM4/10/11
Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

>> I got through to them finally and they found they had a bug in their
>> glibc related stuff that broke GNOME. How they did not notice that
>> during testing I do not know. I did a
>>
>> yum downgrade glibc glibc-common glibc-devel glibc-headers nscd
>>
>> at their suggestion to fix it. It has to be done just right or the glibc
>> will disappear from under you and you are up the creek. They will
>> release a revised version soon. Meanwhile, do not install these; wait
>> for a later one.

> Jean-David,
>

> I glad you got in contact with Red Hat support.
>
> I run RHEL 6.0 so I do not know whether I will run in to this bug.
>
> Thank you for the warning, for a customer may run into this problem.

One reason I run Red Hat Enterprise Linux, even though it costs me about
US$1/day, is because it is supported for 7 years. I am really running it
on one of my desktop machines (I run CentOS 4 on the other), and it
runs some minor servers (bind, sendmail, cups). I do not like keeping up
with the latest and greatest. I am not trying to get bragging rights to
the most up to date stuff. And I absolutely hate upgrades. While it
takes only an hour or two to do the obvious parts of an upgrade, getting
all the settings (mostly in /etc) done takes me over a month. So I skip
the even numbered releases. I ran RHEL3 until RHEL5 came out. I ran RHL
7.3 until CentOS4 came out. I will upgrade the CentOS4 to CentOS6 if it
ever comes out.

So I do not know what RHEL6 is like.

^^-^^ 08:00:01 up 2 days, 15:27, 3 users, load average: 5.24, 5.59, 5.42

Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Apr 10, 2011, 10:52:01 AM4/10/11
Op 10-04-11 14:10, Jean-David Beyer schreef:
Jean-David,

It is not about bragging. It is to warn my collegueas for possible bugs
when they decide to switch a customer from RHEL4 or RHEL5 to RHEL6.

Your policy to stay on a stable version as long as it support I can
understand that completely. The more 'self configured software you run
the harder it gets to repair the configuration.

I can affort it to switch from one release to another, because I run
only a dns/dhcp server on this platform and a Fortran compiler.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit

Jean-David Beyer

Apr 10, 2011, 4:47:31 PM4/10/11

The troubles with e-mail. It was not your upgrading from RHEL5 to RHEL6
that I considered bragging. It is the people who run Fedora, Ubunto,
etc., that they feel they must upgrade every 6 months or so, that I
consider braggers. Maybe not all of them. I have never used Ubuntu, and
tried Fedora Core 2 (or something like that) and could not get its CUPS
to interact with the REHL3 CUPs correctly. I finally gave it up and
switched that machine to CentOS4.

Warning your colleagues about the problem with that update is very
professional. I would not have even bothered to post the problem I had
except to warn people of this. I cannot understand how Red Hat could
have released this glibc package without noticing. But they probably ran
test scripts and assumed if they passed, that GNOME, etc., would work
too. It may be that some server users do not even run GNOME and would
not be affected. And the glibc update did not hurt the system much
except for the malfunctioning desktop. The machine worked fine other
than that. I could login through ssh and run from there.

> Your policy to stay on a stable version as long as it support I can
> understand that completely. The more 'self configured software you run
> the harder it gets to repair the configuration.
>
> I can affort it to switch from one release to another, because I run
> only a dns/dhcp server on this platform and a Fortran compiler.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Jan Gerrit

^^-^^ 16:40:01 up 3 days, 7 min, 4 users, load average: 4.88, 5.03, 4.86

Zihni Bayraktar

Mar 21, 2012, 7:41:30 AM3/21/12

Jean-David Beyer

Mar 21, 2012, 8:24:00 AM3/21/12
Zihni Bayraktar wrote:

Was this about last year's update? Because this year's April update is
not out yet, if there is going to be one.

And this post has no content.

^^-^^ 08:20:01 up 13 days, 17:01, 3 users, load average: 4.63, 4.78, 5.08