Redhat Questions

Jay Grant

Oct 15, 2008, 7:41:18 AM10/15/08
Hi

I friend is requesting assistance on a Redhat issue they are having.
Unfortunately my experience is with Solaris, not linux, so hopefully someon
here can help.

We are trying to field a new application on RHEL 4.2

On top of 4.2 resides a government-authored, custom application.

Unfortunately, is seems the only machines we can purchase today have issues
with SATA hard drive and chipset incompatibility.

So far we have had the most success with a Dell D430 Latitude Laptop

The issues we experienced on it is with the external Combo drive CD/DVD RW
(D/Bay Model PD01S) will not write to CD-R, CD-RW or DVD-R, error on the
lines of this is not a recordable device.

The KDE icon shows it as a CD-ROM (we have an older desktop machine that
shows the one it has installed as a CD-Recorder)

Both of these had a clean install (Wipe Hard drive and install RHEL 4.2 then
the application.)

We were hoping you'd be able to locate a driver or advise how we might be
able to make the drive operate on this particular system.

Another approach might be to have you or one of your Red Hat savvy personnel
research a PC (Laptop/and or desktops) that may work with 4.2. It would need
to be a system that will be around for a while that will meet the rigors of
government approval (i.e. certification criteria).

Questions:

1. Is it possible to get updated drivers for 4.2 to recognize the
CD-Recorder?

2. What are the system requirements for Redhat 4.2?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide

Jay

1PW

Oct 15, 2008, 7:15:38 PM10/15/08
On 10/15/2008 04:41 AM, Jay Grant sent:

Hello Jay:

Others will ask if the "custom application" is compatible with a later
version of RHEL4. Can the install be from version 4.7?

Is the application able to work with RHEL5.2?

Perhaps less consequential, is the RHEL4.2 AS, ES or WS?

Are you, or your friend, holders of a valid Red Hat subscription?

Best wishes.

--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]

Jay Grant

Oct 15, 2008, 10:21:21 PM10/15/08
Thanks for your response. Supposedly it has to be 4.2. Unforutnately I don't
know enough about the environment (or Redhat) to say why.

Do you know where I could find a hardware compatibility list for 4.2? I
tried google but no luck.

Thanks

"1PW" <barcrnah...@nby.pbz> wrote in message

Nico Kadel-Garcia

Oct 15, 2008, 10:26:38 PM10/15/08
to Jay Grant
Jay Grant wrote:
> Thanks for your response. Supposedly it has to be 4.2. Unforutnately I don't
> know enough about the environment (or Redhat) to say why.
>
> Do you know where I could find a hardware compatibility list for 4.2? I
> tried google but no luck.

Call Dell, and ask over on comp.os.linux.setup.

1PW

Oct 15, 2008, 10:29:46 PM10/15/08
On 10/15/2008 07:21 PM, Jay Grant sent:
> Thanks for your response. Supposedly it has to be 4.2. Unfortunately I don't

<https://hardware.redhat.com/index.cgi>

Jay Grant

Oct 15, 2008, 11:25:14 PM10/15/08
Thanks for the link ... I sent it along. Hopefully they will be able to find
a system that works