Summer of Code – time to do something, anything … but not by me

quaid

Dec 22, 2010, 7:18:01 PM12/22/10
to redhat-summer
Folks:

(The message below is one I'm sending around to a few locations to get
some attention. We need some fresh admins to take over driving the
GSoC participation for next year. Based on previous years, that work
needs to start soonest.)

For this coming year, if Fedora chooses to participate in the Google
Summer of Code (and I think we should), I have decided that I am not
going to be involved.

This is not complete abandonment. In fact, the below blog post is the
first of potentially several that can be part of a package of
mentoring-the-mentors as I pass on my mantle of leadership.

So if you care about the future of Fedora’s participation in Google
Summer of Code (GSoC), for the love of all that you hold dear and then
some beyond that, please read on.

http://iquaid.org/2010/12/22/summer-of-code-time-to-do-something-anything-but-not-by-me-2/

From the above blog post, summary of what is needed soon:

1. A wiki page that lists project ideas from across the Fedora
community.

2. Some folks need to read the application requirements and put a
schedule together to meet the deadlines.

3. Work all the application process to completion.

Work in the past has been on the redhat...@groups.google.com list.

Ryan Rix

Jan 7, 2011, 11:47:21 PM1/7/11
to redhat-summer
Hi Karsten,

We've discussed this on IRC a few times, but I'm willing to take some
sort of leadership role with this year's GSoC. After FUDCon I'll have
some free time to fill at work, and this seems like a productive and
Good Thing to work on.

I will need other peoples' support though, if anyone else out there is
listening. ;) Particularly, if JBoss folks want to get involved that
would be *wonderful*, as I have no knowledge at all of the JBoss
community, or if they're even interested in participating in GSoC.

Ryan Rix

On Dec 22 2010, 5:18 pm, quaid <karstenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> (The message below is one I'm sending around to a few locations to get
> some attention.  We need some fresh admins to take over driving the
> GSoC participation for next year.  Based on previous years, that work
> needs to start soonest.)
>
> For this coming year, if Fedora chooses to participate in the Google
> Summer of Code (and I think we should), I have decided that I am not
> going to be involved.
>
> This is not complete abandonment.  In fact, the below blog post is the
> first of potentially several that can be part of a package of
> mentoring-the-mentors as I pass on my mantle of leadership.
>
> So if you care about the future of Fedora’s participation in Google
> Summer of Code (GSoC), for the love of all that you hold dear and then
> some beyond that, please read on.
>
> http://iquaid.org/2010/12/22/summer-of-code-time-to-do-something-anyt...
>
> From the above blog post, summary of what is needed soon:
>
> 1. A wiki page that lists project ideas from across the Fedora
>    community.
>
> 2. Some folks need to read the application requirements and put a
>    schedule together to meet the deadlines.
>
> 3. Work all the application process to completion.
>
> Work in the past has been on the redhat-sum...@groups.google.com list.

Manik Surtani

Jan 8, 2011, 9:04:38 AM1/8/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com, Mark Newton

On 8 Jan 2011, at 04:47, Ryan Rix wrote:

> Hi Karsten,
>
> We've discussed this on IRC a few times, but I'm willing to take some
> sort of leadership role with this year's GSoC. After FUDCon I'll have
> some free time to fill at work, and this seems like a productive and
> Good Thing to work on.
>
> I will need other peoples' support though, if anyone else out there is
> listening. ;) Particularly, if JBoss folks want to get involved that
> would be *wonderful*, as I have no knowledge at all of the JBoss
> community, or if they're even interested in participating in GSoC.

I'm happy to get involved, from the JBoss side of things. I've cc'd Mark Newton as well - Mark, do we have a central, coherent strategy for JBoss.org's participation in GSoC this year?

Cheers
Manik

> Ryan Rix
>
> On Dec 22 2010, 5:18 pm, quaid <karstenw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Folks:
>>
>> (The message below is one I'm sending around to a few locations to get
>> some attention. We need some fresh admins to take over driving the
>> GSoC participation for next year. Based on previous years, that work
>> needs to start soonest.)
>>
>> For this coming year, if Fedora chooses to participate in the Google
>> Summer of Code (and I think we should), I have decided that I am not
>> going to be involved.
>>
>> This is not complete abandonment. In fact, the below blog post is the
>> first of potentially several that can be part of a package of
>> mentoring-the-mentors as I pass on my mantle of leadership.
>>
>> So if you care about the future of Fedora’s participation in Google
>> Summer of Code (GSoC), for the love of all that you hold dear and then
>> some beyond that, please read on.
>>
>> http://iquaid.org/2010/12/22/summer-of-code-time-to-do-something-anyt...
>>
>> From the above blog post, summary of what is needed soon:
>>
>> 1. A wiki page that lists project ideas from across the Fedora
>> community.
>>
>> 2. Some folks need to read the application requirements and put a
>> schedule together to meet the deadlines.
>>
>> 3. Work all the application process to completion.
>>
>> Work in the past has been on the redhat-sum...@groups.google.com list.

Aditya Patawari

Jan 8, 2011, 9:27:48 AM1/8/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If I am not wrong there is a mentor's private list from last FSC.
Quaid or Ryan or someone with access to that list can approach the
former mentors and encourage them to take up some administrative roles
for GSoC.
Though I am not qualified enough to take up some position but I would
be glad to help as much as I can including setting up of wiki pages,
putting up ideas and of course spreading the word.

--
Aditya Patawari
http://blog.adityapatawari.com/

Manik Surtani

Jan 10, 2011, 5:20:20 AM1/10/11
to Mark Newton, redhat...@googlegroups.com
Well, is JBoss.org registered with GSoC in the first place? And if so, do we have a centralised place for JBoss.org projects to put down ideas for student projects? And beyond that, do we have a nominated person to act as liaison with Google?

Cheers
Manik

On 10 Jan 2011, at 10:07, Mark Newton wrote:

> Hi Manik,
>
> Currently we don't have a centralised strategy for dealing with GSoC. What level of involvement are you looking for?
>
> thanks,
>
> Mark

> Mark Newton
> JBoss Community Lead
> Mobile: +41 7657 47730
> Office: +41 41 760 4636
> Email: mne...@redhat.com

Heiko W. Rupp

Jan 10, 2011, 5:29:46 AM1/10/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com
Manik

(private)

Last year, all of Fedora was rejected by Google.

The year(s) before (may be including last), Google said that JBoss = Fedora = Red Hat --> so only 1 Red Hat group was
allowed. This is why JBoss.org had to join Fedora.

Dunno if someone can explain to Google that JBoss != Linux

Otherwise I think the docspace etc. from last year could be reused.

Heiko

--
Heiko Rupp h...@pilhuhn.de
Blog: http://javablogs.com/ViewBlog.action?id=14468

Patrick W. Barnes

Jan 10, 2011, 8:42:30 AM1/10/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 2011-01-10 04:20:20 Manik Surtani wrote:
> Well, is JBoss.org registered with GSoC in the first place? And if so, do we have a centralised place for JBoss.org projects to put down ideas for student projects? And beyond that, do we have a nominated person to act as liaison with Google?

Google's stance is that projects that are primarily sponsored by the same corporate entity must enter the program together. Thus, Fedora, JBoss.org and any other Red Hat projects must apply to the GSoC together.

At this point, the application window for the 2011 GSoC has not yet opened, so there are no organizations "registered". What we need right now is a team of administrators that will set up the centralized places for Fedora and JBoss.org to collect ideas, recruit mentors, spread awareness and, when the time comes, prepare a combined application for Fedora, JBoss.org and any other Red Hat-sponsored projects that wish to join. When reviewing organization applications, the Google team will look at the lists of ideas and will give precedence to organizations that seem well-prepared.

The administrative team should include a single lead. That lead will be the liason between both Fedora and JBoss.org and Google. In the past, that has been me. There should also be a backup to that lead, whose name will also be given to Google. In previous years, Karsten has been that person. Additional administrators will help with organization, including recruiting, documentation, moderating during the application review period, etc.

A list of resources used in the past can be found at:
https://groups.google.com/group/redhat-summer

--
Patrick W. Barnes
The Fedora Project

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PatrickBarnes

All messages cryptographically signed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP
--

signature.asc

quaid

Jan 11, 2011, 12:27:06 AM1/11/11
to redhat-summer
On Jan 10, 2:20 am, Manik Surtani <manik.surt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, is JBoss.org registered with GSoC in the first place?  And if so, do we have a centralised place for JBoss.org projects to put down ideas for student projects?  And beyond that, do we have a nominated person to act as liaison with Google?

So I've been doing some thinking about this and I realize that the
Google logic is probably all wrong.

For example, Red Hat employees a significant number of GNOME desktop
developers, but you don't see GNOME being required to join with
Fedora ... which is arguably more in line that a JBoss Community
connection!

I think I know the folks to talk to, but what we probably need to do
is this:

1. Work up a short, coherent argument about why the two should be
separate;
2. Include that argument in each of our separate applications;
3. I'll see if I can find some folks in Google's Open Source Program
Office to consider the proposal.

Because honestly, there really hasn't been a reason to work together
other than circumstances, and it's been as much of a hindrance as a
help for each of us.

- Karsten

quaid

Jan 11, 2011, 12:29:10 AM1/11/11
to redhat-summer
On Jan 10, 5:42 am, "Patrick W. Barnes" <nma...@fedoraproject.org>
wrote:
> On Monday 2011-01-10 04:20:20 Manik Surtani wrote:
>
> > Well, is JBoss.org registered with GSoC in the first place?  And if so, do we have a centralised place for JBoss.org projects to put down ideas for student projects?  And beyond that, do we have a nominated person to act as liaison with Google?
>
> Google's stance is that projects that are primarily sponsored by the same corporate entity must enter the program together. Thus, Fedora, JBoss.org and any other Red Hat projects must apply to the GSoC together.

Have you ever seen a rule of some kind stating that?

> At this point, the application window for the 2011 GSoC has not yet opened, so there are no organizations "registered". What we need right now is a team of administrators that will set up the centralized places for Fedora and JBoss.org to collect ideas, recruit mentors, spread awareness and, when the time comes, prepare a combined application for Fedora, JBoss.org and any other Red Hat-sponsored projects that wish to join. When reviewing organization applications, the Google team will look at the lists of ideas and will give precedence to organizations that seem well-prepared.

We could also consider seriously if we _want_ to do a joint
application, if we want to put the energy in to convincing Google
otherwise.

- Karsten

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay

Jan 11, 2011, 12:35:56 AM1/11/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:57 AM, quaid <karst...@gmail.com> wrote:

Irrespective of whether there is a joint project or, separate

> I think I know the folks to talk to, but what we probably need to do
> is this:

0. Work on gathering, writing up, proposing tasks/projects that can
eventually be taken up by prospective students.

The above shouldn't in any form be blocking the steps below or, vice-versa.

> 1. Work up a short, coherent argument about why the two should be
> separate;
> 2. Include that argument in each of our separate applications;
> 3. I'll see if I can find some folks in Google's Open Source Program
> Office to consider the proposal.

/sankarshan

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>

Patrick W. Barnes

Jan 11, 2011, 1:36:12 AM1/11/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com
On Monday 2011-01-10 23:29:10 quaid wrote:
> On Jan 10, 5:42 am, "Patrick W. Barnes" <nma...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > Google's stance is that projects that are primarily sponsored by the same corporate entity must enter the program together. Thus, Fedora, JBoss.org and any other Red Hat projects must apply to the GSoC together.
>
> Have you ever seen a rule of some kind stating that?

AFAIK, the Google team has never included this in their written rules, it is just what they've told us in the past.

> We could also consider seriously if we _want_ to do a joint
> application, if we want to put the energy in to convincing Google
> otherwise.

If we can convince Google to let the communities enter separately, I think that would help us from an organizational standpoint. Something else to keep in mind though is that separate applications may reduce the odds of either being accepted.

signature.asc

Heiko W. Rupp

Jan 11, 2011, 3:33:35 AM1/11/11
to redhat...@googlegroups.com

Am 11.01.2011 um 07:36 schrieb Patrick W. Barnes:
> If we can convince Google to let the communities enter separately, I think that would help us from an organizational standpoint. Something else to keep in mind though is that separate applications may reduce the odds of either being accepted.

You can turn it either ways. If Google decides "this year no java, but Linux", then the joint project will be out because of Jboss

As Sankarshan said, lets start preparing as identifying student projects will help Fedora / JBoss.org / RHQ in any case.

Heiko