GSOC Idea: Packages End User UI

1 view

Ionuț Arțăriși (mapleoin)

Mar 19, 2009, 4:46:22 PM3/19/09
to redhat-summer
Hello!

My name is Ionuț Arțăriși and I am a full-time second-year student in
Bucharest, Romania.

I have worked (am working) on fedora-infrastructure's pkgdb since May
last year under the supervision of Toshio Kuratomi - its main awesome
dev.

My GSOC proposal is an extension to the pkgdb to make it more useful
to the general fedora user or potential user rather than the package
developer which it now targets. It is one of the things I've seen was
lacking in fedora since I first started using the distro and which
other projects have. To this end I have already contributed code to
add package searching capabilities to pkgdb and other small features,
but there is more to do.

The idea is to create a page similar to http://packages.debian.org and
its many alternatives in other projects. I think many of their ideas
should be incorporated into this project like the detailed info about
the application itself: version, project page, dependencies, type of
application etc. On the other hand there are somewhat more original
ideas that I'd want included as well: user contributed package
reviews, user tagging of packages (which will also be exported to
other apps).

Me and Toshio have worked on a more detailed and technical
specification of this project idea which is available here:
https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/wiki/EndUserUI

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

jose manimala

Mar 20, 2009, 2:33:10 PM3/20/09
to redhat...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ionuț,
              thats great to hear... i wish you good luck and toshio is a great adviser. Good luck

Jose M manimala
--
Jose M Manimala
http://www.jmmblog.in.eu.org

Toshio Kuratomi

Mar 20, 2009, 4:18:16 PM3/20/09
to redhat...@googlegroups.com

On Mar 19, 1:46 pm, Ionuț Arțăriși (mapleoin) <artarisi.io...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have worked (am working) on fedora-infrastructure's pkgdb since May
> last year under the supervision of Toshio Kuratomi - its main awesome
> dev.

Ionuț's already been doing some great work on the packagedb. Searching,
retiring of packages, and a massive switch to usernames in the db schema
are all courtesy of his hard work. If you're present on #fedora-admin,
you've likely seen him pop up and talk about some of these things as he
was implementing them :-)

> My GSOC proposal is an extension to the pkgdb to make it more useful
> to the general fedora user or potential user rather than the package
> developer which it now targets. It is one of the things I've seen was
> lacking in fedora since I first started using the distro and which
> other projects have. To this end I have already contributed code to
> add package searching capabilities to pkgdb and other small features,
> but there is more to do.
>
> The idea is to create a page similar tohttp://packages.debian.organd
> its many alternatives in other projects. I think many of their ideas
> should be incorporated into this project like the detailed info about
> the application itself: version, project page, dependencies, type of
> application etc. On the other hand there are somewhat more original
> ideas that I'd want included as well: user contributed package
> reviews, user tagging of packages (which will also be exported to
> other apps).
>
> Me and Toshio have worked on a more detailed and technical
> specification of this project idea which is available
here:https://fedorahosted.org/packagedb/wiki/EndUserUI

Ionuț talked with me extensively about this. The feature is a fairly
large project that lots of people have asked for. It ties together the
built packages in the yum repos and end user information (upstream URLs,
descriptions) that other distributions like Debian and gentoo have. It
goes a bit further, though, by adding tagging, reviews, and rating of
packages/applications. So end users can start providing content that
helps other end users.

Outside views on this feature and ideas for refining it are welcome!

-Toshio

signature.asc