Public Money until tomorrow evening:

Pierre Ozoux

Apr 9, 2016, 1:38:30 PM4/9/16
to redecen...@googlegroups.com, Tristan Nitot, Association Framasoft, Gualter Barbas Baptista
https://nlnet.nl/people/leenaars/ec/

Cheers!

Pierre

--
I use PGP to protect our privacy, if you want to know more, you can
follow this
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
You can verify my public key here: https://keybase.io/pierreozoux

signature.asc

Benjamin ANDRE

Apr 10, 2016, 5:54:03 PM4/10/16
to Pierre Ozoux, redecen...@googlegroups.com, Tristan Nitot, Association Framasoft, Gualter Barbas Baptista
Thank you Pierre for the hint !

I answered the survey, the site was ok this evening, but when I tried to submit, the survey had been shut down... glup :-(

So, here is my bottle for the sea :
If anyone knows anyone at DG Connect, do not hesitate to send him my answers bellow (a kind of decentralized answer to a centralized survey :-)

cheers,

Benjamin ANDRE - Cozy Cloud
CEO - +33 686 253 666

HTTPS://EC.EUROPA.EU/EUSURVEY/RUNNER/NEXTGEN-INTERNET

1.1    Your occupation and expertise
CEO of Cozy Cloud, a 18 people startup founded in 2012.
I have a master of engineering in computer science in France (ENSIMAG)

1.2    What is your assessment of the current status of the Internet and its impact from a European perspective ? What are the major trends ?
The internet is increasingly centralized onto few nodes of control. This centralization of data and therefore of services, is at the core of the power of Californian oligopolies. They can buy new incomers to consolidate their position, whatever the price is. This imbalance leads to more and more tensions between these companies and governments (taxes, mass surveillance), competitors (abuse of dominating position) and users (less choice because of a less competitive market, information manipulation (one says B. Obama has been elected thanks to big data...). Many other stakeholders should be in this list (the taxi men, hotel trade, news papers...).

1.3    View towards 2025 and beyond How do you think the internet will look like in 2025 and beyond?
Key words : Decentralized, User centric, Personal Cloud, PIMS, Cryptography, Blockchain like (decentralization of trusted third parties), Big data in peer 2 peer
Vision : (in very few words, I have been notified of this consultation the very last day of this survey...) is that decentralized ecosystems will emerge. Exactly as in 70's the rise of personal computers was impossible from the institutions point of view. IBM sold the MSDOS license to Bill Gate and in 1977 the CEO of DEC said "no one will ever want a computer at home"... Today we are in the very same situation, the big guys seems more powerful than ever, but the decentralization will naturally emerge.
At Cozy Cloud we are developing a personal cloud, a personal server that anyone can have, self-hosted or hosted by a hosting company such as a bank, where he can aggregate all his data in order to have more frictionless and relevant services. 8 years ago nobody had a smartphone. In 8 years everybody will have his personal server.
The convenience of having a lot of your data at Google is the frictionless experience and the relevance of personalized services. In your personal cloud you can go much further on those two axes since on your personal cloud you can aggregate safely much more data than Google will ever have : health, finance, center of interests... The services can thus be more relevant, more proactive, and more seamless. You will be able to choose the AI you want to plug on your Personal Cloud in order to benefit from a virtual assistant who is truly at your service.
In a word : as surprisingly as it may seems from the current situation, I thing that the future of the internet will be decentralized and user centric.

1.4    What will be the essential functional building blocks of the Internet then?
Decentralization could be built around : 1/ PIMS (personal information management systems) 2/ third parties who can hosts the PIMS (banks, hosting companies, hardware vendors to self host…) 3/ vendors/administrations/associations providing data to individuals from their services (data from our connected devices, consumption statements, invoices, health data, …)  4/ P2P social networks for decentralized social requests, such as social comparisons or epidemiology without disseminating  data… 5/ trust hardware provider (cf bellow), 6/ Addressing systems (ideally a decentralized DNS, others wise a fragmentation of the web could happen)

1.5    Could you indicate where we should focus our activity research in the next 5-10 years to achieve?
The evolution of an always more centralized internet is not sustainable, especially for Europe since the centers of the internet are out of its boundaries. Institutions remain focused on building the "next Google", but when you look at the underground digital scene, what is striking is the vitality of decentralized technologies. The bitcoin being the most visible today.  So there is a lot of relevance for Europe to massively invest in the decentralization of the internet. Here are few hints, they are mainly for the next 5 to 10 years, not beyond.

1/ personal cloud, PIMS (personal information management systems), self-data... whatever you call it : development of system that empowers the individual to take back of their data, in order to be really empowered by their data working for their interest, and to benefit from an open and profuse market of services.

2/ Big Data and P2P : peer to peer is the core of a decentralization of the internet. Being able to make some request over a distributed individual databases (personal clouds) solves the issues of big data (privacy, quality of data, centralization of power over a few actors being able to collect data) in order to go beyond what can be achieved with the classical centralized approach.
 We have started a R&D project with Orange and INRIA, but the field is huge and many different approached and challenges must be taken into account.

3/ Trust hardware: With INRIA we consider that in the digital space is unprivate by design. That's why we tried to contain the chain of trust as small as possible: the idea is to depend of the smallest hardware and of the fewer lines of code : so we put all the sensitive algo and data in a SIM card. But this card must be trusted... there is a lot to invest to bring such a hardware to a high level of integrity.

4/ personal data portability: things are going well in France and in EU : regulations has begun to take this point as a fundamental right. But 1/ the texts are not perfect and 2/ many initiatives must be conducted so that an economy taking the portability constraint as an opportunity can develop : for instance standardization, research over interoperability, project of collaboration involving some big companies, new laws with better definitions (I can help :-)

5/ decentralization of the DNS and of certificates
I cannot develop here an argumentation for each of those points, but just to show that we are convinced of what is stated above : at Cozy we are financing two Phd's with INRIA on those subjects.

The means for this fields are not only monetary : incentives for big, challenged, European companies to change their approaches and to innovate thanks to decentralization for instance would be great.

On 09/04/2016 19:38, Pierre Ozoux wrote:
https://nlnet.nl/people/leenaars/ec/

Cheers!

Pierre

Benjamin ANDRE

Apr 11, 2016, 2:25:09 PM4/11/16
to Pierre-Yves Gosset, Pierre Ozoux, redecen...@googlegroups.com, Tristan Nitot, Association Framasoft, Gualter Barbas Baptista
Hi PY,

I tried this morning, the survey was still nok, and Pierre told me this afternoon that Michiel told him that the survey should have been reopened : I tried and ... yes, the survey was open again !

I don't know how this is possible, but I like to think that it is thanks to my bottle at the sea of yesterday evening. I see here the proof of the power of decentralized logics ;-)

I don't know if my answer can help, but for sure not telling anything will not move the lines !

Cheers,

--

Benjamin ANDRE - Cozy Cloud
CEO - +33 686 253 666

On 11/04/2016 19:48, Pierre-Yves Gosset wrote:
Le 10/04/2016 23:54, Benjamin ANDRE a écrit :
Thank you Pierre for the hint !

I answered the survey, the site was ok this evening, but when I tried to submit, the survey had been shut down... glup :-(

So, here is my bottle for the sea :
If anyone knows anyone at DG Connect, do not hesitate to send him my answers bellow (a kind of decentralized answer to a centralized survey :-)

Hi Benjamin,
did you try the email on the bottom of the survey?
"Please do not hesitate to submit any additional supporting documents directly to CNECT-E...@ec.europa.eu with the Subject: Supporting Documents."

Good luck!

pyg
--
"La route est longue, mais la voie est libre…"
http://www.framasoft.org

Dégooglisons Internet, notre (modeste) plan du libération du monde :
http://degooglisons-internet.org

Framasoft ne vit que par vos dons (déductibles des impôts). Merci d'avance pour votre soutien
http://soutenir.framasoft.org

Framasoft, sa vie, son œuvre, sur une seule page :
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framasoft