Zeronet and Twister anyone

juh

Apr 7, 2016, 1:31:44 AM4/7/16
to redecen...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this was discussed before, but have you looked into Zeronet?

http://zeronet.io/

It is extremely easy to use. With the clone function you can setup your
own blog with a mouse click.

Twister is a blockchain Twitter alternative.

http://twister.net.co/

Zeronet and Twister use implementations of the blockchain technology and
Bittorrent to setup the netwerk and distribute the content.

While Twister is limited to microblogging functionality Zeronet aims to
setup all kind of services and websites.

I would like to hear your comments.

juh

Paul Frazee

Apr 7, 2016, 1:23:04 PM4/7/16
to juh, Redecentralize
Cool, Juh. What's your involvement with the projects?

ZeroNet interests me more, so I dug into the FAQ. Here's the interesting bits:

It only uses BTC's crypto primitives, but not it's blockchain. I does use namecoin, though. https://zeronet.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq/#does-zeronet-uses-bitcoins-blockchain

The sites are static-files hosted with bit-torrent. The sites are addressed by public keys, which are used to sign content manifests for the site. https://zeronet.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq/#how-does-it-work

Pretty simple to publish, you just create a directory, sign, and push it to the network

They have sample sites that actually look pretty good. And dynamic, hmm, how does that work...

Looks like there's some kind of distributed sql backend? I'm having trouble finding details on that

juh

juh

Apr 7, 2016, 2:53:49 PM4/7/16
to Paul Frazee, Redecentralize
Am 07.04.2016 um 19:22 schrieb Paul Frazee:
> Cool, Juh. What's your involvement with the projects?

I am only a user. ZeroNet is quite easy to use. As you host the sites
you read it is very fast and responsive.

And you can setup a tor proxy to surf and publish anonymously.

I am sure that there are quite some issues with it, I don't see. For
example there wasn't any bigger security audit so far.

Cheers
juh

Steven Phillips

Apr 7, 2016, 3:06:38 PM4/7/16
to Redecentralize, juh+li...@mailbox.org
I haven't tried ZeroNet but it sounds a lot like IPFS, which also seems to work well and is exciting.

Other projects similar to those two it may be interesting to try are listed here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ipfs/comments/3l701i/what_are_the_differencessimilarities_with_zeronet/

Pierre Ozoux

Apr 8, 2016, 4:56:04 AM4/8/16
to redecen...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting my crypto investigations, but these can be implemented on
top of ethereum, right?

But yes, I think Steven is right also, this can also be on top of IPFS.

What I can see from eth is that the data storage might be IPFS.

I think it is really exciting time, but personally, I'd wait one winner
to recommend my relatives to investigate also.

My personal fascination/bet of the moment is eth. I'm investigating how
to run IndieHosters as a DAO!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/redecentralize/fdba3863-5acc-4772-a827-7df91d314d06%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/redecentralize/fdba3863-5acc-4772-a827-7df91d314d06%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

I use PGP to protect our privacy, if you want to know more, you can
follow this
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
You can verify my public key here: https://keybase.io/pierreozoux

signature.asc

Martin

Apr 9, 2016, 9:40:51 AM4/9/16
to Redecentralize

Am Donnerstag, 7. April 2016 19:23:04 UTC+2 schrieb Paul Frazee:
Looks like there's some kind of distributed sql backend? I'm having trouble finding details on that

Each site is backed by a sqlite database which is synchronized between the hosting peers. Quoting the documentation:

> ZeroNet counts with a built-in SQL database. This makes content-heavy site development easy. The DB is also synced with hosting nodes with incremental updates.

This seems to work out well surprisingly. Didn't look into the details yet.

Martin

Apr 9, 2016, 9:45:12 AM4/9/16
to Redecentralize
If you want to know more about ZeroNet, I can also recommend this well-made presentation (hosted at Google..): https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1_2qK1IuOKJ51pgBvllZ9Yu7Au2l551t3XBgyTSvilew/