WebTorrent Desktop - open source streaming torrent client

Feross Aboukhadijeh

Apr 6, 2016, 8:28:23 PM4/6/16
to redecen...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks!

Just wanted to share that the WebTorrent Project just shipped WebTorrent Desktop (BETA) today!

WebTorrent Desktop bridges the WebTorrent and BitTorrent networks. If enough people end up running it, BitTorrent in the browser will really happen. Projects like the Internet Archive can make huge files available for immediate streaming on their website, without paying for bandwidth.

Let me know what you guys think.

Feross

Paul Frazee

Apr 6, 2016, 8:34:56 PM4/6/16
to Feross Aboukhadijeh, Redecentralize
Congrats again on the release, Feross, works great.

Michiel de Jong

Apr 6, 2016, 10:53:14 PM4/6/16
to Feross Aboukhadijeh, redecen...@googlegroups.com
Great!

Should I also download and seed some torrents if I want to help bootstrap the eco-system, or will it already help the network if I just leave the application open and running on my laptop?

Cheers,
Michiel.

Feross Aboukhadijeh

Apr 6, 2016, 11:19:02 PM4/6/16
to Michiel de Jong, redecen...@googlegroups.com
Michiel,

WebTorrent Desktop behaves similar to other torrent clients. You need to manually add torrents to the client.

We don't want to make the client automatically download popular content, or seed it, or anything like that. The user should decide what to share since the content could be unencrypted and that's potentially dangerous.

If you're looking for some good torrents you can seed, I recommend the "Featured Torrents" at the bottom of this page: https://webtorrent.io/desktop

Let me know if you have other questions. Cheers!

Feross

Michiel de Jong

Apr 7, 2016, 12:27:47 AM4/7/16
to Feross Aboukhadijeh, redecen...@googlegroups.com
Cool, starting to seed the three featured torrents now! :)

Pierre Ozoux

Apr 7, 2016, 7:06:10 AM4/7/16
to redecen...@googlegroups.com
Amazing! Thanks a lot :)

(Started to download/seed the Introduction to computer programming)

Pierre
> --

I use PGP to protect our privacy, if you want to know more, you can
follow this
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
You can verify my public key here: https://keybase.io/pierreozoux

signature.asc