Honest feedback.

Andy Croll

Apr 26, 2011, 1:02:27 AM4/26/11
to #reddot
I'd really appreciate any honest feedback on the conference, anything
we could have done better? Your favourite stuff? Whether you truly
understood how the coffee machines worked?

Either to me directly at andycroll...@deepcalm.com or even on
this list (I'm brave, I can take it).

Mikel Lindsaar

Apr 26, 2011, 1:37:15 AM4/26/11
to reddo...@googlegroups.com

I think the only real thing that could have been better is more code and interesting ruby stuff.

The business side and philosophical sides of the talks are good and useful, but some talks about ruby integration with small devices, maybe adhearsion talk, actual code refactorings, ruby patterns and things like this would have been great.

The coffee was good, but many people did not know how to use them (myself included), trial and error was fun though... we did some CADD (Caffiene Addiction Driven Development) which admittedly have some VERY short sprints to get an awesome product :)

The food was great, not often you get good food at conferences.

Perhaps also a panel. It was awkward getting up at the end of Gregg's talk and felt a bit like we were hijacking his talk. But an ask anything panel with Matz and anyone else about Ruby or Rails or anything else would have been interesting.

Mikel
--
http://rubyx.com/
http://lindsaar.net/

Shiaw Uen Tan

Apr 26, 2011, 9:17:36 AM4/26/11
to #reddot
This is the first conference I ever attend. It's good and thank you
for organizing this!

I used to hate rails a lot due to magic that I don't understand and
sometime got stuck with some problem that I couldn't figure out what
the problem is.
I guess I should start f**king read the source code nao!

-- Uen

On Apr 26, 1:37 pm, Mikel Lindsaar <raasd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/04/2011, at 3:02 PM, Andy Croll wrote:
>
> > I'd really appreciate any honest feedback on the conference, anything
> > we could have done better? Your favourite stuff? Whether you truly
> > understood how the coffee machines worked?
> > Either to me directly at andycroll+rubyc...@deepcalm.com or even on

Achmad Gozali

Apr 26, 2011, 10:16:21 AM4/26/11
to #reddot
+ 1 on more tech talks and ask anything panel
the rest was awesome

-------
Achmad Gozali
http://gozali.github.com/

On Apr 26, 12:37 pm, Mikel Lindsaar <raasd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/04/2011, at 3:02 PM, Andy Croll wrote:
>
> > I'd really appreciate any honest feedback on the conference, anything
> > we could have done better? Your favourite stuff? Whether you truly
> > understood how the coffee machines worked?
> > Either to me directly at andycroll+rubyc...@deepcalm.com or even on

Jason Ong

Apr 27, 2011, 12:52:21 AM4/27/11
to reddo...@googlegroups.com

Keith Bennett

Apr 27, 2011, 7:02:51 AM4/27/11
to #reddot
Uen -

On Apr 26, 9:17 pm, Shiaw Uen Tan <shiaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the first conference I ever attend. It's good and thank you
> for organizing this!

Great that you were able to attend your first conference. May you
attend many more. ;)

Another kind of conference that's great is open space conferences, aka
barcamps. Are you in Singapore? If I remember correctly, Jason said
that there have been barcamps there. (Is this right, Jason?)

> I used to hate rails a lot due to magic that I don't understand and
> sometime got stuck with some problem that I couldn't figure out what
> the problem is.
> I guess I should start f**king read the source code nao!

There is a term for this, though it refers to the documentation, not
the source code -- RTFM (Read the F@#$ing Manual, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rtfm). We geeks can be funny once in a
while, eh? For many years, MIT has had a public ftp server named rtfm
-- try typing 'ftp rtfm.mit.edu' on your command line, entering
'anonymous' for user and no password.

I guess we need a new variant, RTFS? I'll have to say it to myself...

- Keith

Husein Choroomi

Apr 30, 2011, 10:27:38 AM4/30/11
to reddo...@googlegroups.com
It was great for the first Ruby conf. Thank to you and the team! :-)

I'd only say +1 to Jason's point about reception aircon and a better video recording system.

Anyway, did you check the recorded videos. Any plan to publishing them?

Best,
Husein