Long-tailed Jaeger update and photos 5/5

1 view

Rick Fridell

May 6, 2016, 3:29:47 AM5/6/16
to redcliff...@googlegroups.com, 'Utah Birds' via UtahBirdsHotline, ub...@googlegroups.com
The Long-tailed Jaeger remained throughout the day (5/5) at Sand Hollow State Park, Washington Co.  The jaeger moves around the reservoir often roosting on the water or the shore and then flying rapidly around the lake.  It will often sit on both the north and west dams and occasionally on the rocks around the north boat ramp parking lot.  It is amazingly unaffected by either boats, walkers, joggers, fishermen etc. and when in accessible areas, is quite approachable for photos.  I uploaded several additional images of this handsome bird: http://www.pbase.com/edit_gallery/rfridell/longtailed_jaeger

Also, a reminder for anyone who may be planning on searching for the jaeger this weekend.  The St. George Ironman triathlon race is this Saturday and there will be multiple road closures throughout the county including Sand Hollow State Park on Saturday morning. So be sure to look up schedules if you're planning on looking for the jaeger on Saturday.

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Rick Fridell <rafr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Long-tailed Jaeger is still present at Sand Hollow State Park 5/5, 10:15, sitting on west dam.

Rick Fridell

On May 4, 2016, at 11:05 AM, Rick Fridell <rafr...@gmail.com> wrote:

The Long-tailed Jaeger is still present at Sand Hollow State Park 5/4, 11:00a, flying along the north dam.

Rick

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

On May 4, 2016, at 12:17 AM, Rick Fridell <rafr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Here's a few more details on the Long-tailed Jaeger observed today (5/3) at Sand Hollow State Park, Washington Co., UT.

The jaeger was originally observed floating on the water to the north of main boat ramp. It then flew around a bit and landed briefly on the rocks near the stack of extra boat ramps (observed here by the Sommerfelds while I ran home to get a kayak). It then circled high out of sight as Kevin Wheeler arrived and was relocated about 40 minutes or so later (by Bill and Deb Compton) floating on the water south of the emergent red rock outcrops. It then flew along the west dam towards the south boat ramp. I'm not sure if it was observed again later in the evening as I had to run to a baseball game.

Here's a photo I took from the kayak: http://www.pbase.com/rfridell/image/163145159

There has also been two male Lark Buntings hanging around the edge of the fields and native habitat near along the road in the southeast corner of the Washington Fields (3870 East and 2310 South).

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Rick Fridell <rafr...@gmail.com> wrote: