More Zion Canyon Birding (1/17 & 18)

Rick Fridell

Jan 19, 2016, 8:26:33 PM1/19/16
to utahbird...@googlegroups.com, redcliff...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
This weekend (1/17 & 18) we spent some time hiking in Zion National Park, Washington Co., UT. I managed to get back to the Watchman Campground to try and get some better photos of the Golden-crowned Sparrow.  The large flock of birds was still around and similar in composition as reported on 1/12.  I did not see the Green-tailed Towhee, but didn't spend much time looking for it either (and Kevin Wheeler found it on Saturday, so it was likely still around).  I was surprised to see TWO Golden-crowned Sparrows; an adult and a first-winter (still the only Zonotrichias present).  Another nice surprise was a House Wren with the flock of juncos and bushtits (rare in winter in Washington Co.).

Here's a link to a photo of the House Wren: http://www.pbase.com/rfridell/image/162368955

and the Golden-crowned Sparrows:  http://www.pbase.com/rfridell/utah_rare_birds

Regards,

Rick Fridell