Washington County Magnificent Frigatebird 4/15

Rick Fridell

Apr 16, 2016, 12:30:03 AM4/16/16
to jcre...@gmail.com, Michael Lester, thomas....@gmail.com, redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

We also received a call this morning at the office (thanks to Brian and Marilyn for getting the word out).  Kevin Wheeler and I looked but could not find the frigatebird at Quail or Sand Hollow mid morning; there was a big storm with huge winds that blew in and we figured it might have rode the winds back south....  It calmed for a while mid day and we again looked around Quail Creek to Sand Hollow SP without luck. Seth Topham and I stopped back by QCSP around 3:30 or so to photograph some terns and Seth spotted the frigatebird about 4:00p.  Quinn, Seth and I watched it move along Quail lake to the inflow area and then turn and ride the wind back out of sight over the dam (within a couple seconds). Seth and I then spent the rest of the afternoon running around the greater Quail Creek / Hurricane area chasing the frigatebird. We finally located it again flying over the SR-9 sewer ponds around 5:40 and then managed to track it off and on until sunset. It could really cover some ground moving quickly in the big winds between Quail Creek Reservoir to Sand Hollow SP in a couple minutes. It spent a lot of time soaring above the Purgatory Flats but flew as far east as the Flora-tech fields and west to Coral Canyon. Kevin Wheeler showed up just as the sun was setting as we were watching it flying and chasing terns at Stratton Pond. We last saw it flying high above the Quail Creek dam around 8:15. Some time in there Christian and Molly Edwards, Melinda Bennion, Brook Watts, and a few curious passerbys, observed it as well.

I believe it is a Magnificent Frigatebird.  Seth and I managed a few photos but the light and wind conditions were tricky; so most are silouettes. I'll send a link with a couple photos soon.

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

Rick Fridell

Apr 16, 2016, 2:09:01 AM4/16/16
to jcre...@gmail.com, Michael Lester, thomas....@gmail.com, redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
Here's a link to some silhouettes of the Magnificent Frigatebird....  One is lightened to reveal the underside pattern.  It appears to be a late first-cycle / second cycle bird.
Hopefully it will stick around and there will be some better lighting and weather conditions tomorrow...

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT