Magnificent Frigatebird update 4/16

1 view

Rick Fridell

Apr 16, 2016, 4:40:26 PM4/16/16
to redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
The Magnificent Frigatebird was extremely cooperative this morning (4/16).  It spent the majority of the morning flying around Stratton Pond (at the end of 3700 West) with occasionally trips over the dam to Quail Creek State Park.

Although it's still extremely windy, conditions were much better today.

I uploaded some better images: http://www.pbase.com/rfridell/root&view=recent

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

Rick Fridell

Apr 18, 2016, 2:14:16 AM4/18/16
to redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
This evening I received an email forwarded from Marilyn.  Apparently, Don Ricketts observed the Magnificent Frigatebird flying over Sun River south of St. George this afternoon (4/17).

Don wrote: "While playing golf on the Sun River course this afternoon, we saw a bird we haven't seen here before and seemed out of place. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures but it was a slim bodied black and white bird with a rather large wing span. It had a swallow tail with a very distinctive wing shape (closest in our bird book would be that of a frigate or kite). The flight pattern was also distinctive: a graceful soaring that gave the feeling it was hunting. We observed it flying over the Virgin River along the course's first three holes and then the lakes on the course.
Any thoughts? Any other reported sightings?"

Regards,
Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

colimawarbler

Apr 18, 2016, 1:56:38 PM4/18/16
to chef...@yahoo.com, UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders, redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com
I just got here from Utah Valley. Better late than never. I hope! Am at Sun River GC. Will be in Wash. Co. today and tomorrow. Anyone sees the bird please report. Will do likewise!
Dennis Shirley

Rick Fridell

Apr 18, 2016, 2:19:44 PM4/18/16
to redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
The Frigatebird is currently 4/18 @ 12:18p flying above Sand Hollow S.P.

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, Ut

colimawarbler

Apr 18, 2016, 4:25:59 PM4/18/16
to chef...@yahoo.com, UBIRD - Utah Birds and Birders, redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com
It pays to be lucky sometimes! The Frigatebird has been here at Sand Hollow for about an hour. We all got MAGNIFICENT looks!

Rick Fridell

Apr 19, 2016, 12:56:34 PM4/19/16
to redcliff...@googlegroups.com, utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com
The frigatebird is currently (4/19 10:55a) flying over Quail Creek SP.
Regards,
Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT

Rick Fridell