Green-tailed Towhee, GC Sparrow, Zion Canyon 01/12

Rick Fridell

Jan 14, 2016, 12:48:56 AM1/14/16
to utahbird...@googlegroups.com, ub...@googlegroups.com, redcliff...@googlegroups.com
Yesterday (1/12) I was able to spend a couple hours in the afternoon birding/ photographing in Zion Canyon and saw some nice birds. The highest bird activity was in the Watchman Campground where there was a huge flock of juncos along with several other species. The best bird was a Green-tailed Towhee; only the second I've ever seen in winter (Dec-Jan) in Washington County. There was also a Golden-crowned Sparrow in the flock; surprisingly the only Zonotrichia present.

Complete list -Watchman CG:

Downy Woodpecker (2)
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Black-capped Chickadee (6)
Bushtit (45+)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (2)
Townsend's Solitaire
Hermit Thrush
American Robin (15)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (2)
Spotted Towhee (3)
Green-tailed Towhee
Song Sparrow (4)
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco (60+)
House Finch (16)
Lesser Goldfinch (8)
American Goldfinch (3)

Further up the canyon there was a Northern Pygmy-Owl just upstream from Weeping Rock. The amazing thing was the owl twice chased a bat that was flying around the canyon (in the daylight in winter with snow on the ground and the temperature in the mid 30's!).
There was also a Pacific Wren calling in the brush upstream of the parking lot at the Temple of Sinawava and a couple American Dippers in the river nearby.

Heres a link to a photo of the Green-tailed Towhee: http://www.pbase.com/rfridell/root&view=recent

Regards,

Rick Fridell
Hurricane, UT