redcar debugging ruby

Peto B

Apr 9, 2013, 2:35:52 PM4/9/13
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I know it's been written that with redcar with the correct plugins can be used for debugging, somehow.
But I'd like to follow some article/wifi entry/... to setup my redcar installation in a way I can later debug some simple ruby script.

My basic requirements would be:
- to have linux as a development platform
- to start debugged ruby script directly from redcar
- to place / remove breakpoints in the UI
- to have an option to see variables with their values listed while stopped at the breakpoint

I'm used to IDE (eclipse for java debugging) doing all this for me, is there a way in Redcar?
Maybe I didn't search enough and this is already possible, but I've just seen some signs of some debugger plugins somewhere, but those I've seen didn't work the way I'd expect.

So should I move on and look for some alternative editor/ide or is there a hope for me in the Redcar world?

Thanks a lot.

Peto B

Apr 9, 2013, 2:38:53 PM4/9/13
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
hey, I ment, wiki entry :) sorry for typo

Dňa utorok, 9. apríla 2013 20:35:52 UTC+2 Peto B napísal(-a):

Mat Schaffer

Apr 9, 2013, 10:59:04 PM4/9/13
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, Rubymine works exactly like this.

I get the impression this flow is a ways off in Redcar yet. Last I checked the UI didn't have the right stuff in it to set visual breakpoints even. Delisa, correct me if I'm wrong.

Tim Felgentreff

Apr 10, 2013, 2:06:39 AM4/10/13
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
I haven't debugged Ruby in Redcar in a while, but starting a script from Redcar and setting visual breakpoints worked. See http://blog.bithug.org/2010/09/redcar-debug. What that needs (because we didn't have it at the time) is integration with the runnables plugin, so your visual breakpoints are set then, too. You can use hijack for that, though.

Apr 19, 2013, 6:29:26 PM4/19/13
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks for all your inputs.

Just one more question on the topic, based on @Tim answer.
Is there any plan for supporting runnables plugin directly in the redcar-debug plugin? As it sounds like a nice way to debug via one menu entry click only.

pb