Use Bundler standalone to manage development-time dependencies

Steven!

May 25, 2012, 10:38:51 AM5/25/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I had an awesome time at JRubyConf earlier this week where I was
fortunate enough to run into kattrali hacking on Redcar. After some
discussion among the Railsbridge curriculum team there is a huge renewed
interest in adopting Redcar as the recommended editor for new Ruby on
Rails students.

Since I'll be bringing in a large userbase of new programmers, I expect
they will need some guidance when submitting bug reports, which I will
do my best to provide.

I've also been trying to find issues in Lighthouse affect my students in
order to start addressing those.

One of the first things I noticed was that the Rake 'init' task which
manually collects and untars gems from Rubygems wasn't working for me.
And that furthermore, it was being used very much like I've used
Bundler's standalone mode in the past. So rather than rewriting the init
task to continue to duplicate bundler, I refactored it and some of the
prerequisite initialization code in lib/redcar.rb to use Bundler's
standalone mode with vendorized gems. The pull request is open at
https://github.com/redcar/redcar/pull/50 I know this is a pretty
significant change in the dependency management chain coming from a
relative outsider but I'd like to at least get some feedback on it since
otherwise I have more work to do before I can contribute to Redcar. For
what it's worth, it does not modify the development setup workflow at
all, I simply altered the rake task to run via jruby -S bundle.

Thanks for your time and for building an awesome free software editor!

--
Steven!
nuclearsandwich