Ruby scripts hanging

tonyh

Aug 27, 2012, 1:12:55 PM8/27/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
I have just started using the editor and I like it so far.

I have had one problem so far that I have had to work around.

I am working on an app that uses the qtbindings which creates its own windows etc.
Occasionally my code can cause qt to hang, if it hangs when running it from redcar I end up having to kill ruby,java and redcar before I can run it again.
Also there is no output to tell me what went wrong because I had to kill everything.

Running from eclipse for example will cause the window to hang but not the editor.
I can see in the execute plugin that it spawns a ruby subprocess to execute the scripts.

Has anybody previously looked at alternate ways to run the scripts ?
I would be quite happy for example to execute the script in its own command shell and process (in windows at least) with the standard output going to the shell.

If I have some time I will look into this myself.

Roger Pack

Aug 31, 2012, 9:44:49 AM8/31/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
> I am working on an app that uses the qtbindings which creates its own
> windows etc.
> Occasionally my code can cause qt to hang, if it hangs when running it from
> redcar I end up having to kill ruby,java and redcar before I can run it
> again.

So redcar executes a child process that "hangs" and basically it can't
recover from it?
-r

tonyh

Sep 4, 2012, 8:08:47 AM9/4/12
to redcar...@googlegroups.com
Right, It appears to be a trade off - if they are in separate processes then it will be more difficult to get the output back into redcar.
I did some experimenting by creating a copy of the execute script and modifying it to call the windows start command, it creates a new command window and then executes the script inside that - this keeps any crashes isolated from redcar but output does not get back to the redcar output tab.