Coffeescript highlighting

tonypm

Mar 22, 2017, 12:00:16 PM3/22/17
to Redcar
I still really like Redcar for Rails development.

coffee files dont get any syntax highlighting, and I was wondering how difficult this would be to add.

If I got some pointers I wouldnt mind having a go

Aaron

Mar 22, 2017, 1:38:59 PM3/22/17
to Redcar
Had a look in my github, as I know I did some plugins in the past. Turns out, I did one for coffeescript, which uses the tmBundle for syntax highlighting. I haven't used it in years, so no idea if it still works. But you can give it a shot: https://github.com/agmcleod/redcar-coffeescript

tonypm

Mar 22, 2017, 2:51:51 PM3/22/17
to Redcar
thanks for quick response.  Looks this would be a real help

Not sure how to install the plugin though

Tried the instructions but couldnt clone, got a permissions error

Wondered if I could do it by downloading, but my knowledge of git and submodules is lacking

Currently dont have a plugins folder in my .redcar

Aaron

Mar 22, 2017, 3:05:08 PM3/22/17
to Redcar
Looks like i did not do a good job on documenting back then. Also looks like it was a fork. The error you're getting is likely because that original repository was taken down. You can just pull mine via https:

cd ~/.redcar/plugins
git submodule init
git submodule update
rm ~/.redcar/cache/textmate_bundles.cache

The submodule refers to the repo here: https://github.com/superchris/coffee-script-tmbundle, which thankfully still exists :)

tonypm

Mar 22, 2017, 5:52:33 PM3/22/17
to Redcar
ok, did the clone ok.  ran git submodule init but it said not a git repository, so I ran the commands in the redcar-coffescript directory, which resulted in:

Submodule 'Bundles/Coffeescript.tmbundle' (git://github.com/superchris/coffee-script-tmbundle.git) registered for path 'Bundles/Coffeescript.tmbundle'

But restarting redcar, I didnt get highlighting, and I dont see the bundle loaded

I have redcar installed as a gem, and am using rvm, so I am guessing that to add the bundle the way you are suggesting would require the source of recar forked rather than as a gem?

Aaron

Mar 22, 2017, 7:47:27 PM3/22/17
to Redcar
Haven't tried it myself, at least not for a number of years, but the first error signifies to me that you werent in the correct directory when you called git submodules init. Which you then corrected :).

Again it's been a while, but i believe redcar uses that folder under the home directory to load plugins. It's possible that it reached an error and stopped loading it, but I think you would see something of the sort if that happened.