Redcap Mobile App Getting slow

Yetsedaw worku

Mar 28, 2024, 5:04:56 AMMar 28
to Redcap Open
Hello Team,
I am encountering slowdown issues in the Redcap mobile app due to the increasing number of records.
The project contains around 900 variables, multiple forms, and each tablet has approximately 3000 records.
I need assistance in resolving this problem. Thank you for your help.

What is the maximum number of records that the Redcap mobile app can accommodate?

Thank you!
Yetsedaw

MOHD. RUHAIZIE BIN RIYADZI (NIH)

Apr 3, 2024, 11:06:25 PMApr 3
to Yetsedaw worku, Redcap Open
Hi Yetsedaw, last year we used the REDCap Mobile App (RMA) as a data collection tool for 2 studies - a national level household survey (NHMS) and a single-community longitudinal study (MyEMAS).

For NHMS, there were 580 fields from 23 instruments. We've collected 15,287 records using Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet (S2) and Samsung Galaxy S8+ Tablet (S8).
We've also experienced slow tablet operation when the records exceed 50 for S2 and 120 for S8.
As this survey was a cross-sectional study, we decided to hit the refresh setup and data button in the RMA,
but strictly following these conditions:
- No new or incomplete records in the tablet
- All completed data has been submitted to the server
Most likely, after the data collectors finished collecting data for about 30-40 respondents, we refresh the tablet.

For MyEMAS, there were 244 fields from 13 instruments and 4 events, single arm. We've collected 360 records.
Some methods were used as in the NHMS for the baseline event.
However, after all baseline event data were cleaned, we refreshed the tablet and then downloaded all 360 records available in the server for the next event.

To best answer your question  "What is the maximum number of records that the Redcap mobile app can accommodate?"
I would suggest not more than 100, but it all depends on the operating system as well as the memory available for your tablet.
Hope these could help.

Thanks and regards.

( MOHD RUHAIZIE BIN RIYADZI )
LL.M (MEL) UiTM, B.EHS (Hons.) UiTM, Dip.EH KSKB KKM
Environmental Health Officer
(Reg.: MAHPC(EHO) 00150)
Centre for Non-Communicable Diseases
Institute for Public Health, National Institutes of Health
Ministry of Health Malaysia
- System manager and developer of RMA for NHMS and MyEMAS 2023

Phone : 603-33628769 | 6019-9896571

Peringatan

Pengguna Perkhidmatan MyGovUC adalah bertanggungjawab melindungi kerahsiaan data/maklumat Rahsia Rasmi Kerajaan. Adalah diingatkan agar pengguna sentiasa peka dengan SEMUA peraturan, arahan keselamatan dan pekeliling semasa yang berkuatkuasa bagi semua pengendalian data/maklumat Rahsia Rasmi Kerajaan yang berkaitan.