ReDBox 1.9 Release Plan

Andrew Brazzatti

Apr 26, 2016, 2:06:06 AM4/26/16
to redbo...@googlegroups.com, ReDBox Developer List
Hi all,

Earlier in the year a survey was sent out to the user support community to help us prioritise the feature requests for the 1.9 release of ReDBox and Mint. As a result of that, we have formulated a release plan.

To help with reporting and tracking of changes from release to release, we will produce a number of minor releases culminating with a major release at the end of the year. Unlike the major release where it's recommended to upgrade, there would be no need to upgrade to the minor releases but you will be able to should you require a particular feature earlier.

You can review the release plan here. We only have very high level requirements at this stage so the estimated release dates are very rough estimates. We may be able to fit more or fewer features depending on progress.

To help us to deliver these features, it'd be great if some of you in the user community can spare us some time to help scope, review and test the work. We'll send out a request for the first planned feature (RIF-CS 1.6 support) with some more detail as to what that may entail shortly.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jay van Schyndel

Apr 27, 2016, 8:15:53 PM4/27/16
to ReDBox Development, redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for this update. At JCU we look forward to the Orcid support being added.

Cheers,
             Jay.

Andrew Brazzatti

Apr 28, 2016, 12:49:56 AM4/28/16
to ReDBox Developer List, redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,

Not a problem. ORCIDs actually came out on top as the most sought after feature but from our understanding the ORCID consortium is still working through how ORCIDs fit at an organisational level, we're going to implement the form and RIF-CS changes where the requirements are much clearer.

If my understanding is incorrect on this and people more closely involved with the ORCID work feel we're at a stage that we can start planning this work, I'd be keen to set up a meeting with those interested to get the ball rolling.

Thanks,
Andrew

Jay van Schyndel

Apr 28, 2016, 2:03:13 AM4/28/16
to ReDBox, redbo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

Just a suggestion, when adding people, with the popup to a record, instead of searching the NLA, this could be replaced with ORCID.
On the Mint side of things, obviously, the ability to store the ORCID with the researcher is needed.

A once off job to update existing records to add an ORCID would be great. Maybe update all researchers by institution if that was possible from querying an ORCID api.
I might need to think on this a bit more. I'm happy to help in some brain storming.

Cheers,
             Jay.

Christopher McAvaney

Apr 28, 2016, 3:37:43 AM4/28/16
to ReDBox Development, redbo...@googlegroups.com
For Deakin - it would make sense for us to have the ORCiD ID feed through with the harvested data into Mint.
We collect ORCiD's elsewhere.

I agree, that it would be handle to be able to search on that within the person lookup of ReDBox.
For external researchers (i.e. non Deakin researchers), being able to search on an ORCiD would be fantastic.  I presume that the NLA don't have this in the SRU client thingo that is currently being used.  Is that something the AAF are looking at doing/facilitating?

Regards,
Christopher