update on pedestrian crossing

Jim Willis

Jun 6, 2012, 7:47:33 AM6/6/12
to redbanks...@googlegroups.com
Heard back from the borough on plans for the pedestrian crossing, here's the response:

"We are installing pedestrian beacons at Maple Ave and Peters Place. We applied for a grant to install 4-6 additional pedestrian beacons along Shrewsbury Ave, but have not heard whether our project was funded. The pedestrian beacon we are installing are a simpler, much less expensive version of what was installed in Woodbridge (it cost $150,000). The beacons we are installing on Maple (one each direction at Peters Place) will be pedestrian activated and have flashing lights to notify motorists that a pedestrian is in the crosswalk. It will not have the countdown timer or other upgraded features like GPS."

(here's the link that I had sent around previously:
http://njwalksandbikes.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/metro-park-stations-hybrid-pedestrian-beacon-is-up-and-running/
)

Tom Labetti

Jun 6, 2012, 7:50:20 AM6/6/12
to redbanks...@googlegroups.com
I'm really looking forward to this addition.  I use this crossing on almost a daily basis and crossing there is a dangerous maneuver, even with the existing crosswalk.  Thank you to the Safe Routes group for pushing for these improvements.  -- Tom

Doug Fraser

Jun 7, 2012, 9:10:14 AM6/7/12
to redbanks...@googlegroups.com
I agree completely. This will be a nice addition. In particular,
during heavy commute times, north bound traffic will pass cars that
are stuck turning left into town. Sometimes, those cars are actually
stopped for a pedestrian in the crosswalk, creating a very hazardous
situation.