Can video be streamed directly only as flv?

swengin...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 2:17:28 PM3/13/18
to red5
I need to stream video from a client machine and record it in the Red5 server machine. Currently it is being streamed as flv and in the Red5 server gets converted into mp4. The streams are not saved in the client machine they need to be only stored in the server.
Is flv the only format that can be used to send it to the Red5 server or is there a way to configure the client to send it to the server as mp4 or other more compressed format? Thanks a lot in advance for any advice on this regard.

Rajdeep Rath

Mar 13, 2018, 2:47:37 PM3/13/18
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
If you are streaming a video to red5, you can use any of the supported codecs. Look up on the red5 GitHub page.

You can then record it to flv from there. Irrespective of the codec used - h264 + speex or h264 + aac, or Sorenson + nellymoser etc you will end up saveing into a flv container. If you need a mp4 you need to post process it.

Another neat trick is that if you have 2 or 4 streams at a time max, you can use ffmpeg to live record the stream as mp4 or anything you want while transcoding the live stream on the fly.

--

---

swengin...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 6:58:10 PM3/13/18
to red5
Thanks a lot Rajdeep. I have a lot of client computers streaming to Red5 and want to optimize the bandwidth used in the network were the Red5 server is. For instance a video can take 2 Mbps to transmit as an flv and I wonder if there is a way to transmit it using less than that.
Regarding the option you mentioned to use ffmpeg to live record, does it mean that the video is transmitted as an mp4 instead as of flv and, therefore, it takes less bandwidth?
Thanks.