Red5 instance capacity

swengin...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2018, 12:45:08 PM2/12/18
to red5
I am working on an application and have some questions for the group. I will appreciate any information that you can provide me. Here are the questions:
1- What is the maximum number of rooms that one instance of Red5 can handle (each room just needs to have one stream (e.g.screen capture)?
I am interested in a solution for more than 2000 streams.
2- If more than one instance of Red5 are needed, what are the recommended solutions to implement more than one instance?
3- What hardware configurations could be a good fit?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Rajdeep Rath

Feb 12, 2018, 12:51:28 PM2/12/18
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
1. Rooms are virtual partitions on red5. They are commonly called scopes. There ris no specific limit there .

2. The overall capacity will depend on number of streams, bitrate of each stream, server ram, CPU cores, bandwidth available etc. I doubt I can say what hardware you need for 2000 streams. But yes I would imagine a single instance can support 2000 rtmp streams. Perhaps you can try out on AWS.

3. For scaling you should look at Red5 Pro @ red5pro.com

4. Already mentioned above.

--

---

swengin...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2018, 4:37:37 PM2/12/18
to red5
Thanks very much Rajdeep.
4. Already mentioned above.

Walter Tak

Feb 12, 2018, 4:53:29 PM2/12/18
to red5in...@googlegroups.com
Please do some math yourself ; 2000 streams @ 1 mbit each requires a 2 Gbit connection from your server to the internet.

It also would use around 250 MByte of data , per second. x 3600 seconds = around 880 Gbyte per hour for 2000 viewers watching one stream of 1 Mbit.

There are servers that can handle this, for example www.100tb.com rents them out, with 10 GBit connections and a 100 TByte cap per month, so you'd be able
to stream for about 100 hours, per month, before you reach the cap. They do offer unlimited data as well for additional costs.

Such a server will cost around $300-$500 a month (you need speed + CPU to handle the streams) and the unlimited package is an extra $300-$500 a month.

You're looking for a dedicated server , not virtualised -> bare metal / real dedicated , to ensure 100% cpu capacity at all times (you don't want your 2000 visitors experience interruptions because another website/app on the virtualised server suddenly gets busy.

--

---

swengin...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2018, 6:39:07 PM2/12/18