Help me de-clutter!

SamC

Nov 12, 2009, 5:41:54 PM11/12/09
to Recompute Wellington
Right! I've decided to have a (long-overdue!) disposal of some of the
junk I've managed to collect over last few years, so the following
relics are looking for a new home. Pick-up is from Wellington CBD; I
don't really want to ship any of this stuff.

Unless otherwise noted, the gear all worked last time I spun it up -
that would've been a few years ago for most of these though, so I
can't guarantee anything will work. I don't want anything for this
stuff, but at the same time if you get it home and find it doesn't
work, I don't want it back ;)

* 1x Sun SparcServer 1000e (6x 80mhz Sun-4d CPUs, ~1.5gb ram)
Worked fine last time I had it going (a couple of years ago). I had
Solaris 8 running on it at the time, which I believe is the highest
version it'll do.
As far as Linux goes I think I got a 2.2 kernel to boot on it, but the
sun4d port was pretty flaky and any SMP kernel I tried paniced after
being up for a few minutes. I doubt this will have improved with more
recent kernels.
Stick with Solaris, it runs reasonably well despite the low clock
speed.
I can probably scare up a couple of scsi drives and an external
enclosure to go with this bad boy too.

* 3x SGI Indy workstations (1x R4400, 1x R4600, 1x R5000)
I hate to part with these, but again I've not touched them in ages.
The R4400 and R4600 both boot, but the R5000 fails POST with a scsi
controller issue. I don't know if it's fixable; I've never looked too
closely at it.
I've had both IRIX and Debian MIPS running on these, but I'm not sure
if they have a bootable OS on them currently.
I've also got an SGI monitor (rebadged Sony Trinitron) to go with
these. I can't guarantee I've still got the 13W3 video cable for
these, but I'm fairly certain it's around somewhere

* 1x Sun SPARCstation IPX
Hasn't been booted for quite a few years, but at the time it worked
fine; pretty sure it was running Debian at the time. To get a serial
console working on this, you'll need a serial cable with an 8-pin mini-
DIN plug -- if I find the cable I soldered up I'll throw it in too.

* 1x Acorn A4000
Not sure what version of RiscOS it's got, but it worked last time I
fired it up. I think I've got a keyboard to go with it too.

Cheers!

Sam

Ewen McNeill

Nov 12, 2009, 9:20:10 PM11/12/09
to recompute-...@googlegroups.com
SamC wrote:
> * 1x Sun SparcServer 1000e (6x 80mhz Sun-4d CPUs, ~1.5gb ram)
> [...]

> I can probably scare up a couple of scsi drives and an external
> enclosure to go with this bad boy too.

Amongst my many things to find a good home for, are several SCSI drives
in external enclosures (primarily Sun narrow single ended enclosures).
The drives worked last time I checked, but I've been meaning to
wipe/check them before passing them on.

So if anyone is keen on playing with this SparcServer and wants some
more disk then let me know. I think I have 4GB through 18GB disks.

> * 3x SGI Indy workstations (1x R4400, 1x R4600, 1x R5000)

I also have 1 x SGI Indy (blue, pizza box shaped), and 1 x SGI Indigo
(purple, cube-like). I haven't tried turning either one on in a while,
but they did work last time I powered them up. (As with the drives they
really need powering on and any random things on them cleaned off.)
Both have IRIX installed IIRC. (I think the SGI Indy should be able to
run Linux, but the Indigo is IRIX only in that model.)

The SGI Indigo one would make a very call "case mod" case if someone
were adept with tools and keen on the idea; it's a very stylish case.
(Alas the Indigo doesn't have a framebuffer in it, so is serial-console
only. But with some care it may be possible to make it both the SGI + a
small PC motherboard.)

Somewhere I had a 13W3 video adapter to go with the Indy (I may possibly
have more than 1, if I can track them down, as I had a few with some Sun
systems too), and I think I still have the keyboard that belongs with
the Indy (although the Indy will work with a standard PS/2 keyboard and
mouse).

Ewen

Ewen McNeill

Jan 5, 2010, 11:59:02 PM1/5/10
Ewen McNeill wrote:
> So if anyone is keen on playing with this SparcServer and wants some
> more disk then let me know. I think I have 4GB through 18GB disks.

I've now dug these disks out and tested them. Available:

2 * 1GB (narrow) SCSI disk in Sun (narrow) external enclosures
1 * 4GB (narrow) SCSI disk in Sun (narrow) external enclosure
4 * 4GB, 10k RPM, SCA SCSI disks (bare)
2 * 18GB, 10k RPM, SCA SCSI disks (bare)

All show no bad blocks. The Sun external enclosures have standard
narrow SCSI high density connectors on them. The cases are pretty easy
to get apart and replace with bigger disks if you have them around (but
note that they only take traditional narrow SCSI drives, with the
separate power connectors -- you _might_ get a SCA/narrow SCSI adapter
in there, but there's not that much spare room).

The 18GB disks have a SMART report claiming "pending failure due to ECC
corrections" but the number of ECC corrections (10k on one, 40k on the
other) is so low as to make me suspect a false alert. They're Seagate
ST318203LC drives, and I vaguely recall finding something years back
suggesting this was essentially a firmware bug which made their ECC
detection counts too paranoid (I have other working drives with orders
of magnitude more ECC corrections -- it's pretty much just life for high
speed drives).

> I also have 1 x SGI Indy (blue, pizza box shaped), and 1 x SGI Indigo
> (purple, cube-like).

These two are still available. I still haven't tried powering them on,
but it's on my todo list. A case mode into the Indigo would look _very_
cool if someone had the time/inclination. Micro-ATX or similar should fit.

Ewen