RCSS June meeting

Darren Duncan

May 29, 2009, 5:58:44 PM5/29/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

In regards to a RCSS June meeting, I have a proposal for a short presentation I
can do, with 2 main elements.

1. I can talk about how one can make and use their own codeless input method,
so to assist in typing say those various math/logic/etc symbols that don't match
keys on the keyboard, when built-in input methods, eg for Chinese etc, don't exist.

As a working example is an input method I created earlier this day and bundled
with my Muldis D spec starting with version 0.74.0, so you can type symbols like
[ ≤ ≥ ∪ ∩ → ⊻ ↔ ∈ ∉ ⊆ ⊃ ⋈ ⋉ ÷ ¬ ] easily in any program. Eating my own dog
food, I used it just now, directly into this email message.

Note that I've only tested this to work in Mac OS X 10.5, and the feature is
implemented at the OS level rather than say at the text editor level, but the
input method is in a ".cin" format that AFAIK is an open format that can be used
on other OSs or adapted for said.

Also if anyone knows other easy ways to enter arbitrary math/unicode/etc symbols
that are more standardized, let me know.

2. I can talk about how to make a codeless language module for the BBEdit text
editor for Mac OS X, something which I have had working versions of since last
fall. One of these is also bundled with my Muldis D spec. It defines syntax
coloring for the language, as well as a function scanner so it is easy to jump
around to different routines/etc in a file.

With both of the above elements, I would quickly walkthrough an already working
example, and demonstrate making and using a few changes to said. Unless things
take longer than I think, this talk is in the 30 minute range.

Ideally there would be another speaker in June, but if we're really starved for
that I could fill time with something else. Or if necessary we could put off to
another month.

So what do you think?

-- Darren Duncan

Cy Schubert

May 29, 2009, 7:01:18 PM5/29/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
I won't be able to make it to this meeting. I got dragged into the VIMAGE
project at the FreeBSD Developers Summit at BSDCan this year, so I'm
spending all my free time coding. (My fault for not keeping my mouth shut.)
VIMAGE is the implementation of virtual kernel images that will facilitate
virtual devices, network stacks, and filesystems. Virtual kernel images
can be used in a jail scenario. Among the other projects on my plate is the
conversion of the IP Filter code in FreeBSD to VIMAGE. Basically this means
all global variables become local to a kernel image.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to make it to July's meeting.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Sc...@komquats.com>

e**(i*pi)+1=0

Darren Duncan

May 29, 2009, 8:53:01 PM5/29/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Cy Schubert wrote:
> I won't be able to make it to this meeting. I got dragged into the VIMAGE
> project at the FreeBSD Developers Summit at BSDCan this year, so I'm
> spending all my free time coding. (My fault for not keeping my mouth shut.)
> VIMAGE is the implementation of virtual kernel images that will facilitate
> virtual devices, network stacks, and filesystems. Virtual kernel images
> can be used in a jail scenario. Among the other projects on my plate is the
> conversion of the IP Filter code in FreeBSD to VIMAGE. Basically this means
> all global variables become local to a kernel image.
>
> Hopefully I'll get a chance to make it to July's meeting.

Well I would actually prefer there was no June meeting as well, for similar
reasons of needing to get some projects done ASAP.

Mainly my proposal is that, if a June meeting will take place anyway, then I
propose being one of the speakers.

But if we postpone and just meet in July or later, I'm happy with or prefer that
scenario.

-- Darren Duncan

Peter van Hardenberg

May 30, 2009, 1:00:12 PM5/30/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'd still like to have a meeting. Does anyone else have any topics they'd be willing to share?

-p
--
Peter van Hardenberg
Victoria, BC, Canada

Noel Burton-Krahn

May 31, 2009, 1:19:24 AM5/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I'm booked the next two Tuesdays. See you in July.

~Noel

Peter van Hardenberg

Jun 1, 2009, 1:36:39 PM6/1/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
It sounds to me like tomorrow will be a bad time for a meeting. Let's defer the meeting for the time being. If anyone comes up with a second topic and there's a Tuesday later in the month that works for people, we'll get together then, but it sounds like a lot of people are away or busy anyway.

-p

Darren Duncan

Jun 1, 2009, 2:38:53 PM6/1/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> It sounds to me like tomorrow will be a bad time for a meeting. Let's
> defer the meeting for the time being. If anyone comes up with a second
> topic and there's a Tuesday later in the month that works for people,
> we'll get together then, but it sounds like a lot of people are away or
> busy anyway.

Sounds good. Thank you. -- Darren Duncan