Meeting?

1 view

Cy Schubert

Aug 28, 2009, 1:23:30 PM8/28/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Now that summer is almost past, do we want to resurrect the meetings?

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Sc...@komquats.com>

e**(i*pi)+1=0

Darren Duncan

Aug 28, 2009, 5:14:28 PM8/28/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Cy Schubert wrote:
> Now that summer is almost past, do we want to resurrect the meetings?

I think I would be up for a meeting.

I could also be one of the speakers as I have a couple things I could show off,
such as how to make an Input Method for Mac OS X or how to make a Codeless
Language Module for BBEdit. But those cumulatively we can't expect to be more
than a 30m talk and we'd need at least another speaker.

-- Darren Duncan

Cy Schubert

Aug 28, 2009, 5:28:48 PM8/28/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com

I was thinking of talking about VIMAGE in FreeBSD 8.0 (initally) and 9.0 (future). However even though I was hoping to do some work in the area I've been working on mundane USB issues instead. I could give a quick overview but it wouldn't be substantive.

VIMIAGE is virtual kernel images. In short we replace global variables with dynamically allocated virtualisation structs allowing multiple kernel contexts to be present in memory. Originally this will be used to virtualise network interfaces. This will allow each jail instance to have an exclusive copy of its own kernel (text is shared).

As I said I haven't worked on this yet, though the intention was to, except that I'm working on some USB issues with USB2 (the new implementation of the USB stack) instead.

Peter van Hardenberg

Aug 28, 2009, 5:52:44 PM8/28/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me! I've missed our monthly get-togethers.
-p
--
Peter van Hardenberg
Victoria, BC, Canada

Darren Duncan

Aug 28, 2009, 9:53:20 PM8/28/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
So, shall we meet on Tuesday Sept 1 like the usual pattern, or is another date
preferred. -- Darren Duncan

Peter van Hardenberg

Aug 31, 2009, 1:48:36 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the short notice, but I have sort of a crazy week of meetings planned around the end of summer here, so it would be great if we could do it next week instead. I can rearrange things in a pinch, but if people are flexible?

-pvh

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Darren Duncan <dar...@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

So, shall we meet on Tuesday Sept 1 like the usual pattern, or is another date
preferred. -- Darren Duncan

Cy Schubert

Aug 31, 2009, 1:56:39 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
VLUG is next week. Can we combine. I know there's some talk about Perl
there which I'm sure would excite Darren. Do we want to do some kind of
Perl thing.

I vote for postponement too. I have a number of FreeBSD issues that I need
to resolve and commit, not the least of which is a USB issue in the
upcoming 8.0. I also need to migrate some of my less critical
infrastructure from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-BETA3 (developers should eat their
own dogfood and by rights I should run 9.0-CURRENT everywhere).

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Sc...@komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX: <c...@FreeBSD.org> Web: http://www.FreeBSD.org

e**(i*pi)+1=0

In message <3395df770908311048l70...@mail.gmail.com>,
Peter
van Hardenberg writes:

> --000e0cd6e34aafcc2a047273a444
>
> Sorry about the short notice, but I have sort of a crazy week of meetings p=
> lanned around the end of summer here, so it would be great if we could do i=
> t next week instead. I can rearrange things in a pinch, but if people are f=
> lexible?<br>
> Darren Duncan <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:darren@darrenduncan.=
> gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0p=
> t 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
> So, shall we meet on Tuesday Sept 1 like the usual pattern, or is another d=
> ate<br>
> preferred. -- Darren Duncan<br>
> ardenberg<br>Victoria, BC, Canada<br>&quot;Everything was beautiful, and no=
> thing hurt.&quot; -- Kurt Vonnegut<br>
> i?hl=3Den<br>
> -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---<br>
>
> --000e0cd6e34aafcc2a047273a444--

Peter van Hardenberg

Aug 31, 2009, 2:27:18 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Sure, we could combine. I don't know what that would entail. Alternately we could go another evening next week if people really want to get their fill of computery stuff. It certainly seems we have enough content to justify a separate meeting.

Considering your employ in the civil service, let me thank you on behalf of all citizens for /not/ running 9.0-CURRENT everywhere.

-pvh

> --000e0cd6e34aafcc2a047273a444--

Darren Duncan

Aug 31, 2009, 2:34:37 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com, Larry Gagnon
Cy Schubert wrote [on the RCSS list]:

> VLUG is next week. Can we combine.

Sure, I'm good for that. I'm currently free on Tuesday the 8th evening.

Also, a current post to the VLUG list says they have no speakers lined up yet.

However, keep in mind that the 2 things I proposed to talk on have elements that
are specific to Mac OS X. The one about making Input Methods can probably
translate directly to Linux as far as how to write the files, which are in an
open standard, but just where you install them or invoke them may differ; but
then in that case I'm sure someone in the audience can speak up. The one about
a CLM for BBEdit is slightly less applicable as BBEdit is Mac-only, although I
do know that advanced editors on Linux can have language module plugins too.
But I wouldn't be speaking to anything not in my own experience though.

> I know there's some talk about Perl
> there which I'm sure would excite Darren. Do we want to do some kind of
> Perl thing.

I know that VLUG includes Perl in its discussions, same as numerous other
languages, considering their use with Linux etc. I'm not aware of any talks
planned on the subject though.

But if there are, I'll send a notice to Victoria.pm, which hasn't had a meeting
in over a year, so people there can come too.

My own short talk proposals are not about Perl in any event.

And we'd [collectively] still have to find yet another speaker to fill time.

> I vote for postponement too. I have a number of FreeBSD issues that I need
> to resolve and commit, not the least of which is a USB issue in the
> upcoming 8.0. I also need to migrate some of my less critical
> infrastructure from 7.2-STABLE to 8.0-BETA3 (developers should eat their
> own dogfood and by rights I should run 9.0-CURRENT everywhere).

-- Darren Duncan

Cy Schubert

Aug 31, 2009, 2:54:06 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
I no longer work for the Provincial Government. I'm employed by EDS. I do
have a own small datacentre at home in the basement, was seven machines,
now only three.

I do miss having FreeBSD on my desk. I have to live with XP. At least it's
not Vista.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Sc...@komquats.com>
FreeBSD UNIX: <c...@FreeBSD.org> Web: http://www.FreeBSD.org

e**(i*pi)+1=0

In message <3395df770908311127y3c4...@mail.gmail.com>,
Peter
van Hardenberg writes:

> --00c09f8ddfdd1a9e860472742f46
> oups.com

Peter van Hardenberg

Aug 31, 2009, 3:41:59 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Ah, well in that case be as unstable as you like! ;)

-pvh

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Recreational Computer Science Society" group.

Cy Schubert

Aug 31, 2009, 7:06:46 PM8/31/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
s/a own/a/

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert

In message <200908311854....@cwsys.cwsent.com>, Cy Schubert

Darren Duncan

Sep 7, 2009, 2:09:21 PM9/7/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Peter van Hardenberg wrote:
> Sure, we could combine. I don't know what that would entail. Alternately
> we could go another evening next week if people really want to get their
> fill of computery stuff. It certainly seems we have enough content to
> justify a separate meeting.

I haven't seen any notice from either VLUG or RCSS that a VLUG meeting is in
fact going ahead tomorrow, certainly their website just show's August's. So
unless I see a formal announcement today I'll assume its not happening.

Note also that if VLUG doesn't officially happen, RCSS could then simply use
their time slot, simply having an RCSS meeting tomorrow. But still there would
need to be a formal announcement today so people know to bother to come.

I'm willing to show off making a codeless input method and a codeless language
module, both demonstrated with Mac OS X, but that won't be enough for a whole
meeting by itself.

-- Darren Duncan

Peter van Hardenberg

Sep 9, 2009, 2:12:10 PM9/9/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
I suppose we'll have to go next week with Darren and Cy's talks. Does that work for the two of you? If so, I'll send out an official announcement.

-p

Cy Schubert

Sep 9, 2009, 3:10:51 PM9/9/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
In message <3395df770909091112t44f...@mail.gmail.com>,
Peter
van Hardenberg writes:

> --000feaefb7e3891c7e0473290587

> I suppose we'll have to go next week with Darren and Cy's talks. Does that
> work for the two of you? If so, I'll send out an official announcement.

I can't. I'm dealing with an issue with my tenants so I won't have time to prepare. This has been taking all of my time so far.

dar...@darrenduncan.net

Sep 9, 2009, 5:35:33 PM9/9/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
Cy Schubert writes:
> In message <3395df770909091112t44f...@mail.gmail.com>,
> Peter
> van Hardenberg writes:
>> I suppose we'll have to go next week with Darren and Cy's talks. Does
>> that
>> work for the two of you? If so, I'll send out an official announcement.

As for me, I'm not currently aware of a conflict. And I don't really have
any prep I *need* to do for mine, as its basically a quick walkthru of an
example of how to do the things I'm talking about.

> I can't. I'm dealing with an issue with my tenants so I won't have time to
> prepare. This has been taking all of my time so far.

Do you manage an apartment complex or is this just your house you're
speaking of?

-- Darren Duncan

Cy Schubert

Sep 9, 2009, 6:40:19 PM9/9/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
In message <49916.96.54.45.173....@darrenduncan.net>,
darren@da

An apartment complex? I wish.

Darren Duncan

Sep 14, 2009, 2:06:44 AM9/14/09
to recco...@googlegroups.com
dar...@darrenduncan.net wrote:
> Cy Schubert writes:
>> In message <3395df770909091112t44f...@mail.gmail.com>,
>> Peter
>> van Hardenberg writes:
>>> I suppose we'll have to go next week with Darren and Cy's talks. Does
>>> that
>>> work for the two of you? If so, I'll send out an official announcement.
>
> As for me, I'm not currently aware of a conflict. And I don't really have
> any prep I *need* to do for mine, as its basically a quick walkthru of an
> example of how to do the things I'm talking about.
>
>> I can't. I'm dealing with an issue with my tenants so I won't have time to
>> prepare. This has been taking all of my time so far.

This all being said, I should heads-up that I've had a bit of a cold starting
about Friday, which appears to be starting to wind down. It may very well be
all gone by Tuesday. Normally I don't go out in such a state to help avoid
passing an infection but this may be all over by Tuesday.

Between this (I can otherwise still go ahead) and Cy's situation, its still your
call as to whether to announce a meeting this month or not. (If you do go
ahead, don't mention in it what I've just said today.)

-- Darren Duncan