Recast Demo: Cannot open include file: 'SDL.h' no such file or directory

Russell Boley

Dec 5, 2020, 10:16:23 AM12/5/20
to recastnavigation
Hi RecastNavigation,

I am trying to get recastDemo working, and followed the instructions on the setup for windows and end up in the same place every time.

I download SDL from the website for windows, paste it into RecastDemo/Contrib/SDL/lib/x86/

making that directory have
* SDL2.dll
* SDL2.lib
* SDL2main.lib
* SDL2test.lib

Then I downloaded premake5 and put it in RecastDemo folder so I dind't have to deal with pathing and run

```
premake5.exe vs2019
```

I then navigate to the build folder vs2019 and open the solution in visual studio.
Click build and get a bunch of errors that it can't find SDL files.

I have never done C++ development, so I have no idea how to fix this, and was suprised there were no issues raised about it.

Any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

Jakob Botsch Nielsen

Dec 5, 2020, 10:30:19 AM12/5/20
to recastna...@googlegroups.com
You need to make sure you download the "Development Libraries" version of SDL (at the bottom of the page). It sounds like you may have downloaded the runtime binaries only.

--

---

Russell Boley

Dec 5, 2020, 10:34:34 AM12/5/20
to recastnavigation
Thank you Jakob!

yep it looks like that was an important step. And also putting it into the directory where you downloaded the project you are running is important (facepalm)

It turns out I had downloaded multiple copies and put it in one copy, and built the other. So that was a problem. Seems to work now, I might make a PR on the README.md

to clarify where to go to open the solution.
and then where to go to run it.
It wasn't immediately obvious to me that I needed to go to the build/vs2019 folder to find the solution,
and definitely not obvious I needed to go back a couple dirs to the RecastDemo/bin folder to find the executable to run.