Clipper Record

1 view

Kerrie Gingrich

Jul 25, 2024, 9:48:48 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to recastnavigation

There's a legacy of NASA spacecraft carrying inspirational messages from Earth, from the Pioneer Plaque and the Voyager Golden Record, to engravings carried aboard NASA's Mars rovers. Now, as NASA sends a new mission from one ocean world to another, the Europa Clipper spacecraft continues this tradition, inspiring global interest and connection through its journey.

Exploration is something we do together, something that connects us all as we head out into the cosmic sea. The Waveform Generator lets you experience the word "water" in over 100 spoken languages as well as American Sign Language. Listen, create your waveform graphic, and share it to join our celebration of Earth's and Europa's interconnected stories.

NASA worked with a group of professional linguists to identify a set of languages from a broad range of language families to be engraved in the limited space available on the Europa Clipper vault plate. The goal was to identify a diverse set of language families to represent humanity on a global scale.

Outward-Facing Side: Water Words
Linguistics researchers Dr. Sheri Wells-Jensen, Dr. Laura Buszard-Welcher, and interstellar message researcher Dr. Doug Vakoch of METI International contributed to the development of this project and collected the recorded languages. The design was created by writer/designer Debbie Millman. Creative collaborators Larry Guterman and Arthur Salvetti contributed the American Sign Language symbol. The concept for the Water Words design was developed by Dan Goods and Preston Dyches.

NASA Official/Program Executive: Dave Lavery
NASA Official/Program Scientist: Curt Niebur
Media Contact: Gretchen McCartney
Public Engagement Manager: Heather Doyle
Public Engagement Lead: Laurance Fauconnet
Social Media Lead: Bill Dunford
Science Writer: Sandy Marshall
Science Writer: Amanda Barnett

NASA has described it as a "Golden Record" for Europa as, like the famous record, the designs thoroughly showcase global variety. The original Golden Record is on the Voyager probes and it contains songs, sounds, and images that were considered representative of the diversity of life and culture on Earth in the 70s.

Europa Clipper is not getting a record, however, but a plate. This is part of a structure that will protect the spacecraft from the intense radiation found around Jupiter. The internal side will feature a design called "water words". There are 103 sound waves representing the word "water" in 103 different languages, whilst the symbol at the center represents the American Sign Language sign for "water".

Finally, there is a tribute to planetary scientist Ron Greeley, whose work on Galileo and the development of a mission to Europa has been crucial in getting Europa Clipper ready to go. It is planned to reach Jupiter in 2030, after a journey of five and a half years.

I'm running the current version of Firefox (79.0) under 64-bit Windows.

Since the recent update, the Evernote web clipper doesn't work in private mode - fact it says "Not Allowed in Private Windows" and "This extension does not run while private browsing."

There was no problem before - can this please be looked at as a matter of uregency.

Anyhow, the privat mode does nothing to protect you in the web - it just avoids some stuff to get stored on your computer, like cookies, and probably puts the session into a sandbox to stop anything from moving out. Which may stop web clipper from working. If it is your private computer we are talking about, there is not much use of going to privat mode, and typically if you go, you will probably not be clipping this stuff (like your bankIng web site) to EN.

As @PinkElephant - that sounds more like a Firefox restriction than an Evernote issue - have you taken this up with that team too? Alternatives would be: as suggested, or try another browser private mode.

Just realized I hadn't added the FF extension on this (new) computer... It does appear to be an EN extension problem - in FF, there should be a toggle to enable the extension in private mode. But that toggle isn't in FF (it is for some of my other plugins) - so it appears the EN extension is saying "don't" (very well could be FF now requires explicit 'yes I can' where it didn't before...)

Firefox 79.0 (64 bit) user here...I checked my clippings...the Evernote Clipper extension absolutely was working in Firefox Private Browsing, as recently as 8/10/2020. I'm 60% certain I used the extension in Private Browsing on 8/13 as well. Yet now when I go to firefox 'about:addons' to manage my extensions, the option to enable EN clipper in private is no longer there! Instead it says "Not Allowed in Private Windows / This extension does not run while private browsing." This to me confirms that this new restriction comes from the Clipper developers (EN) and not from Firefox (Mozilla).

Once again, WTF, EN taking away a feature with no warning, no appeal, etc.

Sure there are security implications, that's why you let the user decide. The only reason not to allow the use to decide that I can see would be a) newspapers are giving EN flack and threatening...I dunno...something because people use the clipper to save (and distribute?) free copies of articles that are normally behind a paywall unless you use private browsing or other tricks; or b) EN wants to track us, and sell our telemetry, every time we use the clipper.

... For Firefox to impose a restriction via regulation or code to ensure that private browsing remains completely untraceable...? Nobody around here knows, but maybe if any subscribers suffering from the issue raise it with Evernote, it will get explained or even fixed?

About the hypothesis "These guys are following us around": I run a Pi-Hole that protects my whole home network against ads and tracking. Who does not know what it does can google it. It is very effective, and it runs a Log-File where I can see what web-sites are called, which are blocked and which are passed.

When a clipped page is opened as a note in EN, there is NO internet traffic as well. This means that even when the page may contain trackers or ads, they do not go active when a note is opened in EN. So no tracking emerges from clipped content when it is stored in your EN account.

And for a final reading experience: This little window shows up when opening a private window in Firefox. It says what I have said above: The private mode will NOT protect you against tracking or ads. It only prevents that the web site can store content on your browser, like cookies. But what you do is completely transparent to the internet itself. If you want to avoid this, you need other methods, like ad-blockers, tracking blockers, a VPN (to cloak your IP-address) etc.

When you say no tracking, it sounds like you mean that the clipper doesn't send any network traffic to 3rd party sites. That's good news, but it might not be the whole story...I took a look at -hole.net/ it doesn't appear to let you look inside the traffic that the Clipper sends to Evernote, so it is possible EN could be sending telemetry, other meta-info, etc. along with the clip itself.

Well I say possible...the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards my first hypothesis, that EN doesn't want to be seen as enabling people to clip content from Private Browsing when the content provider would prefer it be accessed from normal browsing. There are plenty of news sites that used to let you access their stuff via private browsing, but now have private browsing detection that prevents that, so that's an emerging trend.

I agree with what you said re Private Browsing doesn't provide any real protection against tracking or ads. Anyone interested in knowing more, read up on browser fingerprinting.

If I read your statement, you seem NOT to know about browser fingerprinting. If you want to try, call the website www.amiunique.org . It will show the information your browser is sending out, and compare it to other browsers. You see if you are unique, and which element it is that makes your browser unique. In my case it is the combination of installed fonts that makes my browser unique. Yes, this information is send out by your browser. But not because EN makes it send it out. Behind this are the Googles and Facebooks that dominate the web with their money and browser development. 70% of all Web Traffic runs through Chrome, developed and given to anybody for free by whom ? Yes, Google, honi sunt qui mal y pense.

I just opened the Website above in Firefox, first in a normal window. It send out 1.556 lines of information, 61.908 characters. Then I opened a private window and did it again. It send out 1.555 lines of information, 61.889 characters. It is exactly what I already told above: A private window does NOT stop information to go to the internet. It only prevents stuff like cookies to be saved on your own computer. Which has nothing to do with browser fingerprinting - cookies are yet another technology for tracking.

If you want to avoid getting tracked and ad-spammed, get yourself a raspberry, learn Linux, install a Pi-Hole and be free. Because opposite to an ad blocker in the browser, Pi-Hole can not be detected. The tracking and advertising is send out. It just never gets somewhere. And it blocks apps on the mobile device as well, as it does with smartTVs (that talk a lot about your viewing habits to the manufacturers servers) and other stuff.

Try that with Google, Facebook or the others that day in day out collect every bit of information about your personal life even without you having an account there. Or even worse, if you have an account, then you are fair game to be tracked whatever you do, wherever you do it. And no opt out as long as you use the internet.

Hi. This thread is about issues with private windows and has only been live for a few days. I clipped PDFs in Firefox today with no problem. Please start a new thread for your issue, and let us know your OS, Evernote version and exactly what you see when trying to add a PDF to your notes.